PDA

View Full Version : POS User interfaces

DaveR
23-Sep-2020, 05:58 AM
I'm looking for screenshots of POS programs to use to convince our people that a rewrite of our venerable CM32 POS doesn't need to be an exact replica.

Anyone out there with a POS they think is particularly cool? Or even vaguely decent? I just want them to see what's possible. Win or Web, doesn't matter.

I've leaned over the counter at a few other local retailers to photograph their screens but all seem to be MS programs and look a bit vanilla. Whereas I look a bit shady :cool:

Maybe a lost cause but I have to try. :rolleyes:

starzen
23-Sep-2020, 06:27 AM
very industry specific i think. have you tried google images?

DaveR
23-Sep-2020, 06:30 AM
You are correct sir. Using that right now, as it happens. Specifically I'm browsing UX on StackExchange which is a pretty good source. What I'm looking for amongst the DF crew is what's been done with DF or Webapps.

DaveR
23-Sep-2020, 06:31 AM
and, I should have known there'd be a Pinterest group :rolleyes:

starzen
23-Sep-2020, 06:34 AM
be careful googling POS interfaces may yield the wrong result ;-)

DaveR
23-Sep-2020, 06:58 AM
Lol

Marco
23-Sep-2020, 07:04 AM
Not dataflex, but sambapos is cool.

Garret Mott
23-Sep-2020, 08:30 AM
I have a manufacturing customer who makes reamers - a tool used in machining to make a drilled hole smooth & accurate (think engine blacks & the like). Do not google "reamers"...........

@ the OP: I agree that POS interfaces are industry specific, but in general, clean & simple with a logical progression is best. In my auto parts POS (which is simply a view similar to the OE Order.vw) I did find that I had to use WinPrint for the invoices, as all the other tools I tried took too long to print. With WinPrint, the printer starts spitting out the invoice almost instantly - whereas CR & DR had a 5 second or more lag - an eternity when a customer is standing in front of you. Of course these are 8.5x11 invoices, not just a cash register type receipt.

DaveR
23-Sep-2020, 08:46 AM
I suspect I'm going to spend a lot of time even getting to the beginning of this ... good job I read fast

https://medium.com/uxjournal/pos-ux-design-part-one-the-16-ux-factors-in-point-of-sale-b94661936eea
https://medium.com/uxjournal/the-design-principles-in-the-pos-system-pos-design-guide-part-2-57d1bcb30ac0

and...
https://creativenavy.ch/case-studies/ux-agency-pos-design-switzerland quite cool explanation of his process, not that my German or Schweitzerdeutsch (sp?) is any great shakes.

close, Schweizerdeutsch... 9/10

Tom Murphy
23-Sep-2020, 08:57 PM
Hi Dave

We won't through the same process a years ago, taking a DF3.1d POS program into 'V'DF and windows. Our goal was something touch screen friendly. We even have people using RemoteApp on Apple iPads to use it in the field, which has worked really well. It also had to be customisable, so the button and data entry panels are user driven.

danwalsh46
24-Sep-2020, 06:12 AM
I did find that I had to use WinPrint for the invoices

Had to use? You make it sound like a negative. If the shoe fits...?

Garret Mott
24-Sep-2020, 07:20 AM
Good point Dan. I coulda phrased that better. WinPrint is certainly more work than a WYSIWYG reporting tool - but in this instance it was indeed the right tool for the job. An 8.5x11 20 line invoice with a watermark graphic starts printing immediately & with a decent laser printer is ready to hand to the customer in just a few seconds. It's actually quite a bit faster than their old OKI 320 using pre-printed forms.