https://link.medium.com/jN9Zd3HEq9

A long read but pretty coherent

Mike Peat
1-Sep-2020, 12:02 PM
+1 (Thanks Dave!)

Mike

Mike Peat
1-Sep-2020, 01:09 PM
However I think he is mostly talking about the C++/Java/C# version of OOP, as modified (exacerbated?) by the hocus-pocus, "band-aid-on-an-amputation", b/s of design patterns. (I love his "I had a problem so I thought to use OOP - now I have a ProblemFactory". ;))

From my PoV, the most salient point is: "Good programmers write good code, bad programmers write bad code, no matter the programming paradigm. However, the programming paradigm should constrain bad programmers from doing too much damage". Actually I feel that no programming paradigm will stop bad programmers writing bad code. The answer is more likely to be stopping bad programmers writing any code at all. "Magic bullets" persuade managers that "bad programmers" can be made productive, rather than destructive. Just ain't so, IMHO.

Mike

Alberto Gutiérrez Arroyo
2-Sep-2020, 05:45 AM
I knew it was going to say how much better Functional Programming is after reading the title... OOP is good as long as you use it correctly, but obviously it has some weaknesses (nothing is perfect right?). And FP is also good, but difficult to use at first for OOP programmers. It has been around since Lisp was introduced IIRC, it is older than OOP itself, so there must be reasons why it isn't as popular as OOP yet.

DaveR
3-Sep-2020, 07:32 AM
However I think he is mostly talking about the C++/Java/C# version of OOP, as modified (exacerbated?) by the hocus-pocus, "band-aid-on-an-amputation", b/s of design patterns. (I love his "I had a problem so I thought to use OOP - now I have a ProblemFactory". ;))

From my PoV, the most salient point is: "Good programmers write good code, bad programmers write bad code, no matter the programming paradigm. However, the programming paradigm should constrain bad programmers from doing too much damage". Actually I feel that no programming paradigm will stop bad programmers writing bad code. The answer is more likely to be stopping bad programmers writing any code at all. "Magic bullets" persuade managers that "bad programmers" can be made productive, rather than destructive. Just ain't so, IMHO.

Mike

I'm one of those who bought the 'design patterns' book and regretted it. I veered from 'obvious!' to 'nonsense!' and back again within a few pages. To me the publisher likd the concept then kept sending the manuscript back until the author hit however many pages they'd booked from the printers. One of those books that should have been an article in CW, or a poem, or a cartoon...

Mike Peat
3-Sep-2020, 07:59 AM
I can see my copy from where I sit.

However I've been careful to avoid "paying for it twice": once for the $$$ then again for the pain of following its advice. ;)

Mike

DaveR
3-Sep-2020, 08:42 AM
I can see my copy from where I sit.

However I've been careful to avoid "paying for it twice": once for the $$$ then again for the pain of following its advice. ;)

Mike

I'm WFH and my copy is safely on the office bookshelf, under a layer of dust... :cool: