PDA

View Full Version : PDF Merge

Bob Worsley
1-Jul-2020, 10:50 AM
Is anyone working in a .Net environment using a PDF library to merge PDF files and if so what? I realize this is a DF forum but have inherited a .Net program that does this and have run into a limit of the number of files that can be merged - something like 1200 letters. I don't need to edit the letters in any way, simply to merge them, count pages and be able to search the text in them. And I don't want another command line tool if possible, it's using PDFTK now and that's what hit the limit. I can see the need going up to maybe 2000, possibly more.

TIA

Peter van Mil
1-Jul-2020, 12:36 PM
I am using PDFill for some PDF merging ands splitting. I don't use it with the command line, but it has to be possible: http://www.pdfill.com/pdf_batch_command.html

danwalsh46
2-Jul-2020, 07:31 AM
Peter,

Do you use PDFill with DataFlex as well?

Peter van Mil
2-Jul-2020, 07:44 AM
Hi Dan,

Not yet. I don't need to merge and split PDF files. Normally I create PDF files with DataFlex Reports and VPE.

Bob Worsley
2-Jul-2020, 08:41 AM
Hi Dan,
I've used PDFtk with DF but it's a command line program and some don't like that. It does work well though

danwalsh46
3-Jul-2020, 09:16 AM
Thanks Bob,

My application is one of filling a PDF form document. I have one user using VeryPDF. I ran a trial with the SDK which is pretty slick, but too pricey. Now I just output the XML and he manually does the merge.

http://www.verypdf.com/app/advanced-pdf-tools/try-and-buy.html#buy-sdk

starzen
3-Jul-2020, 09:18 AM
we are using PDFSharp for a few specific features we need with PDF files such as adding stamps (like rubberstamps) and i believe we have one that merges two together as well but i am not sure right now. PDFSharp is pretty easy to work with

Bob Worsley
3-Jul-2020, 12:59 PM
Hi Dan,
Yeah, some of these PDF products are pretty pricey and they claim to be able to do everything except cook dinner. verypdf isn't as expensive as some that I've seen. I found one open source product called pdfsharp that looks like it might work though it can run out of memory depending on the number of PDFs being processed. It looks like it might be easier to work with than the DOS product though.