PDA

View Full Version : Unit tests

Marco
15-Apr-2020, 04:32 PM
“Michael Feathers introduced a definition of legacy code as code without tests, which reflects the perspective of legacy code being difficult to work with in part due to a lack of automated regression tests.”

Where are you on your automated testing journey?

starzen
15-Apr-2020, 04:56 PM
with DF we dont use much automated testing but with other projects we use automated code checks, builds and tests using sonarcloud, jenkins and different test frameworks for PHP, Python, Javascript.

they are executed automatically as soon as a PR is created on github and merges are not allowed if any of them fail obviously

as far as automated tests they are required including a minimum code coverage to merge code

Marco
15-Apr-2020, 05:29 PM
I like DFUnit
Coding with it does change your style and I’m not consistent in using it for every project/customer but it is a very nice way of coding.

Code coverage is something I would really like to see in DataFlex. And I think that the debugger has a lot of the ingredients already. Just hope it will be available one day. Especially when modernising code, it would be really handy.

Ola Eldoy
4-Jun-2020, 06:30 AM
I'm glad DFUnit has proved to be of some value :o

In my current position (since September) I don't get to use it, but for testing web apps, I can really recommend looking into Cypress. Think Selenium (UI automation), except it's "done right". It's fast, and it's tailored for testing your app end-to-end. Useful for what I tried to accomplish with FitnesseForDataFlex.

chuckatkinson
6-Jun-2020, 03:16 PM
Cypress looks interesting. Ola have you tried it with the web framework?

Pepe
17-Jun-2020, 03:39 AM
What is "FitnesseForDataFlex"?

Salu2

Pepe

wila
17-Jun-2020, 04:25 AM
PMJI,

What is "FitnesseForDataFlex"?

Salu2

Pepe

https://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?59124-Acceptance-testing-FitNesse-for-DataFlex

--
Wil

Pepe
17-Jun-2020, 04:58 AM
Thanks Wila!