PDA

View Full Version : All aboard the COBOL train!

Mike Peat
15-Apr-2020, 10:43 AM
Any takers? https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/08/business/coronavirus-cobol-programmers-new-jersey-trnd/index.html?utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_content=2020-04-11T10%3A31%3A11

Mike

Focus
15-Apr-2020, 10:50 AM
In the spirit of the people selling the sieves and pans .... set up an online training course immediately ;)

wila
15-Apr-2020, 10:59 AM
Mike,

The problem as I've understood it, is not that there are no COBOL developers. The problem is that they do not want to pay the market value for those developers.
The "We're looking for very experienced senior COBOL programmers who want to work on this for a junior pay check" problem.

IBM wants to help:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/309263-ibm-launches-new-cobol-training-initiative

--
Wil

Mike Peat
15-Apr-2020, 11:05 AM
Wil - that was exactly what I just told my wife when she suggested I help out. ;)

Mike

Herman
16-Apr-2020, 07:18 AM
Wow! That was a long time ago.... (in a galaxy far far away)

Have to check my FILE-SECTION to see if the WORKING-STORAGE still works.....

wila
16-Apr-2020, 07:26 AM
Wow! That was a long time ago.... (in a galaxy far far away)

Have to check my FILE-SECTION to see if the WORKING-STORAGE still works.....
Your avatar makes me wonder ... "Eindhoven de gekste?" (me too!)

I only had one class at the uni where they teached COBOL, I'm glad to say that is all I remember from it (so basically forgot it all)
--
Wil

starzen
16-Apr-2020, 07:32 AM
i might still have some cobol coding forms

Mike Peat
16-Apr-2020, 07:35 AM
Herman

If memory serves me correctly, the FILE SECTION and WORKING-STORAGE SECTION were two parts of the DATA DIVISION, which was one of the big-four: IDENTIFICATION, ENVIRONMENT, DATA and PROCEDURE divisions. ;)

Mike

Ian Smith
17-Apr-2020, 03:45 AM
Completely-Orrible Business Oriented Language

I realised that I would not be learning much more if I stayed with COBOL when I was given a program to update that was originally written before I was born.

Stephen W. Meeley
17-Apr-2020, 07:55 AM
I'm waiting for Fortran IV to make a comeback = it's what I learned first (submitting jobs on punched paper tape).

DaveR
17-Apr-2020, 11:25 AM
Assembler on RCA Spectra (and ICL470 because IBM's was called then 3-60) and using 7-track paper tape!
Then, very quickly thereafter, COBOL, which took a 6-week course in London that included my 21st birthday :cool: oh the stories...

chuckatkinson
19-Apr-2020, 09:28 AM
Lockheed computer, I bet nobody knew they made them. Front panel switches to enter the boot code. Paper tape, magnetic core memory and teletype entry, printing and paper tape. Binary, and I thought assembler was so much better. PDP 11 mostly with assembler, but also motorola and eventually Intel and Zilog.

Vincent Oorsprong
20-Apr-2020, 04:50 AM
Stephen,

There is a FORTRAN version from 2018...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran

Don't know how well it matches with the FORTRAN I've learned back in 1984...