PDA

View Full Version : Import Chilkat 64-bits ActiveX

Peter van Mil
5-Apr-2020, 07:23 AM
After the inspiring Virtual EDUC I have tried to generate the COM classes for Chilkat 9.5.0.

It surprised me that the proposed PKG file is empty. More important is that the DataFlex Studio 20.0 Alpha generates exactly the same package for 32 and 64 bits based on the 32-bits DLL. Somehow the 64-bits DLL isn't recognised.

I vaguely remember that something is said about it during the EDUC, but I don't know it exactly anymore.

Also for 64-bits!!!!

// DataFlex COM proxy classes generated from C:\Program Files (x86)\Chilkat Software, Inc\Chilkat 32-bit ActiveX\ChilkatAx-9.5.0-win32.dll

Michael Mullan
5-Apr-2020, 07:32 AM
did you install and register the 64 bit DLL on your machine, then compile your test app in 64 bit and what happened? using the standard 32 bit PKG code?

FOr CodeJock it seems that the same DLL calls work for both 32 and 64.

Focus
5-Apr-2020, 09:37 AM
Chilkat have told me the interfaces are Identical so you don’t need to build a different pkg

Just put the 64 bit one in same folder as your exe and make sure the correct filename is in the manifest file

Not tested yet

Peter van Mil
5-Apr-2020, 11:35 AM
On another laptop I installed only the 64-bit version and then I saw that I overlooked something. In the 64-bit version you can select all individual classes. I you select all classes the package is exactly the same as the 32 bit version (except the first line with a comment about the DLL version). I expect that one class package will work with both 32 and 64 bit. This is also what was stated during the EDUC.

Peter van Mil
6-Apr-2020, 04:25 AM
Chilkat works perfectly with 32 and 64 bits with the same package.

One remark for DAW: if you select just one class name to generate, all classes are generated in one package. Also it isn't possible to deselect all classes in one click.

F. Gutiérrez
6-Apr-2020, 05:01 AM
In my case, the platform is selected as 64-bit, but both the dll and the suggested package name point to the 32-bit version. I think I chose "Import COM Automation" instead of "Import COM ActiveX" so I could browse for the dll manually and it's working fine.

I aso imported both the 32- and 64-bit versiones and they're indeed identical.

Peter van Mil
6-Apr-2020, 05:07 AM
I have uninstalled the 32-bit installation of Chilkat and only imported the 64-bit version. After generating the class packages I registered both DLL's in the Programs folder. The next step is to generate the manifest fragments with the COM Manifest Studio. I did it in the past with the 32-bits version and have to find it out what to do with the 64-bit version.

Focus
6-Apr-2020, 05:38 AM
They should be identical apart from the filename tag