PDA

View Full Version : Will DataFlex work with OneDrive?

the Guy
7-Mar-2020, 06:31 PM
I was planning to use AWS EC2 to create a shared server folder for my Windows based DataFlex 19.1 software. Amazon assures me it will work. Before taking the plunge with Amazon, I spoke with a network engineer I have known for 27 years, and he suggested I use Microsoft OneDrive to share the folders and files...

It seems Amazon AWS EC2 will cost me about $80 per month, but Microsoft OneDrive will cost me about $80 per year.

We have been playing around with it for about 24 hours, and it appears to work -- but I have my doubts about using OneDrive on a larger scale...

So, the 64,000 dollar question is, will my Windows based Dataflex 19.1 software work on Microsoft OneDrive?

thank you!
Guy

Mike Cooper
8-Mar-2020, 03:47 PM
I highly doubt that you will be able to use anything in a multiuser capacity using onedrive.

Peter van Mil
8-Mar-2020, 05:02 PM
It might work when you use SQL Server as a database on it. Shared files is asking for trouble.

the Guy
9-Mar-2020, 09:29 AM
Thank you -- I was afraid of that!

the Guy
9-Mar-2020, 09:30 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too...

wila
9-Mar-2020, 11:31 AM
I was planning to use AWS EC2 to create a shared server folder for my Windows based DataFlex 19.1 software. Amazon assures me it will work.

Same problem as with OneDrive.
Aka, your Amazon sales representative is wrong, they can assure you all they want, but it won't work.
Besides that, putting the embedded database on a AWS EC2 shared folder won't be supported by Data Access either.

As mentioned earlier, you should go SQL if you need anything that is more robust.
--
Wil

Michael Mullan
10-Mar-2020, 09:57 AM
If you're building for a distributed client set, how hard did you look at webapp?

-MM

Jesus Aguirre
12-May-2020, 12:27 PM
Same problem as with OneDrive.
Aka, your Amazon sales representative is wrong, they can assure you all they want, but it won't work.
Besides that, putting the embedded database on a AWS EC2 shared folder won't be supported by Data Access either.

As mentioned earlier, you should go SQL if you need anything that is more robust.
--
Wil

Wil,
and if it were the same AWS EC2 scenario of 'the guy' but with the WebApp Dataflex 19.1 and with the embedded database would you have the same problem? I am ready to publish a WebApp made in Dataflex 19.1 in AWS EC2. Thanks.

Jesus.

Stephen W. Meeley
12-May-2020, 12:55 PM
Jesus,

Amazon EC2 instances are cloud servers (whereas OneDrive is cloud storage) so for webapps you can look at running on an EC2 instance the same way you would look on any server. So yes, it would be OK to run webapps on an EC2 instance with the embedded database on the same server (since all the DF processes are running on the same machine as the embedded database files there are no oplocks issues).

Of course, there are lots of reasons to consider more than a single server, but it really a function of what your app is doing and what kind of security and performance you need. It might be worthwhile to watch the Learning Center video about WebApp Deployment (https://learning.dataaccess.com/courses/how-to-deploy-your-webapp/) to look at the various configurations you may want to consider.

JimNC9
15-Aug-2022, 01:25 PM
I discovered the OneDrive issue too late in the game. Now I'm dealing a bunch of paths in libraries that contain \OneDrive\
DF Reports really doesn't like it.

RoelandVerhoeven
22-Mar-2023, 01:10 AM
I couldn’t find any information on whether Dataflex 19.1 software is compatible with Microsoft OneDrive. However, I found a thread on the Data Access forum where a user asked if DataFlex works with OneDrive and the response was that it is not recommended to use OneDrive for DataFlex1.

Marco
22-Mar-2023, 07:34 AM
I am surprised that people are surprised by that…

Mike Cooper
22-Mar-2023, 11:53 AM
I know, right?

DaveR
23-Mar-2023, 09:14 AM
Onedrive needs killing with fire. Horrible stuff and catches so many users out. "I deleted it from my desktop as it said it was on onedrive..."