PDA

View Full Version : DB2 driver not ready yet right ?

Samuel Pizarro
15-Nov-2019, 09:31 AM
Was planning to test 2020 with db2, but reading the docs. it seems only MS-SQL is ready so far..

Harm Wibier
15-Nov-2019, 10:16 AM
Was planning to test 2020 with db2, but reading the docs. it seems only MS-SQL is ready so far..
Well... it is untested, and we did not write any documentation on how to do it (I believe there is a database level setting in DB2 to make it unicode), but I'd be certainly interested in hearing your findings. Please don't do it on a production environment ;).

Samuel Pizarro
15-Nov-2019, 12:51 PM
If the driver still uses ASCII/OEM , there is no point to test it yet.

It will be the same as today.

I already use DB2 with unicode codpage (yes, its a db level setting). It works, ok, if you just use regular ASC 255 codepoints or bellow. you can't use anything above code 255.

If just the driver for MSS-SQL is ready, no point for testing this yet. That's why I raised the question.. Is the driver for db2 ready, or not yet ?

Stephen W. Meeley
15-Nov-2019, 01:10 PM
Samuel,

The DB2 and ODBC drivers in DataFlex 2020 are built off the same 6.9 code-base as the MSSQL driver, so it's not strictly limited to ANSI/OEM like the 6.3 code-base drivers supplied with DataFlex 19.1. What Harm was pointing at was that we haven't spent any time testing anything other than MSSQL (and some very basic testing with MySQL so we could see how their implementation differs from Microsoft - and it does indeed), so we simply don't know what you'll see with DB2.

So "ready" is a relative term. Ready to see what happens for what is likely the first time? Sure! :cool: - but that is why Harm cautions not to get it anywhere near a production database.

Samuel Pizarro
15-Nov-2019, 01:56 PM
Thanks Steephen. Its clearer now.

This particular paragraph from the doc, made me thought the other drivers were not ready yet.

Note that as we prepared for the Technology Preview, we have focused all our efforts on using Microsoft SQL Server as our back-end test environment. Until we have completed the reengineering of the DataFlex SQL drivers we suggest you do the same.

will start testing with db2 dbs , non production. Thanks

Samuel Pizarro
15-Nov-2019, 02:09 PM
Another question on db2

in the doc there is several references to use Nvarchar types in oeder to use unicode on data.

To work with Unicode on MS SQL, use the NChar and NvarChar data types. Data is stored as UTF-16 and the SQL drivers will perform the necessary conversions for you.

is this restriction also true for Db2? I hope not as on db2 you can have unicode data in regular char /varchar types as the unicode capability is handles at db level parameter on db2

Regards

Stephen W. Meeley
15-Nov-2019, 02:56 PM
Samuel,

It's all about what the back-end supports - it's not an expectation of the DataFlex SQL driver itself. We do the conversion from UTF-8 (the new core of the runtime) to UTF-16 and send that on. it's up to the back-end what happens from then on.

Samuel Pizarro
15-Nov-2019, 03:20 PM
great. ...

Just wanted to make sure.. Thanks again