PDA

View Full Version : dbExplorer ConnectionIDs dialog changes connectionIDs by it self

Samuel Pizarro
16-Sep-2018, 03:59 PM
Hi Vincent...

I decided to create a new thread for our discussion started in that other thread (https://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?63291-Another-ancient-request), as they are different in nature.

The answer for your question is "Yes and No" at same time.

I tried to provide a step by step over there, but it looks like I was not clear enough.. so here it goes again.

This was my original DFConn.id file

[connection1]
id=db2sample
driver=DB2_DRV
connection=DSN=SAMPLE
UID=samuel

1. Open dbExplorer, and open the target Workspace.
2. dbExplorer will prompt you the login dialog, as expected (so far so good).
3. Open, "Connection IDs" dialog, menu Database -> Connection IDs
The dialog will be shown
4. Click in the Edit button.

This is what I had in "Database Connections" dialog before clicking in Edit button.

5. Do nothing inside "Edit a Connection" dialog. Just click in "OK" button.

6. When you get back to "Database Connections" dialog, you can see the connectionID was changed.

The connectino string was messed up. all info got duplicated.
The "Enabled" attribute was changed to "no"
The "Active" attribute was changed to "no"
The Save buton got enabled, (it recognized there was change made and save become enalbed)

7. At this point, the real DFConn.id file it not changed yet. But if you click on Save button, it will be wrongly changed.
But , if you try to exit the dialog without saving, you receive a warning that you have changes that were not saved yet (this is good), and if you are like me,, I normally save ...

This is the final dfConn.id file after this exercise

[connection1]
id=db2sample
driver=DB2_DRV
connection=DSN=SAMPLE;DSN=SAMPLE;UID=samuel
UID=samuel
disabled=yes

I Posted this on 19.1 forun, but it happens on 19.0 as well.

I tested the same procedure on Studio "Connection IDs" dialog and the issue does not happens over there.
Actually, They are different each other, and behave differently...

Studio connection manger, has option for DSN or DSN-less connection strings. dbExplorer does not have this option.

Studio does not fill the connection-string in "Extra" field. But dbExplorer does.

Thanks

Vincent Oorsprong
17-Sep-2018, 02:04 AM
Samuel,

Thanks for the clear steps.

I don't have DB2 on my laptop to test with but when I take the latest dbExplorer (internal build) I cannot reproduce what you show with the ODBC_DRV. Now, I've made changes to the connection manager dialog in the latest version (line up with the Studio) and these changes may be result of me not being able to reproduce. Can you when the next alpha comes out retry to see if this is a DB2 only issue?

Samuel Pizarro
17-Sep-2018, 08:40 AM
Yes I can.

I just may need a reminder. Please tey to bump this thread when next version is released.

Thanks

Samuel Pizarro
1-Oct-2018, 01:34 PM
Hi Vincent.

I re-tested this again on 19.5 A5. I got better, but still makes unexpected changes.

Used the same original connectionId as

[connection1]
id=db2sample
driver=DB2_DRV
connection=DSN=SAMPLE
UID=samuel

Followed the same steps as mentioned in the original post from this thread.

And when closed the "edit" dialog without making any changes, it disabled the connectionId.

and the connection.ini ended like this :

[connection1]
id=db2sample
driver=DB2_DRV
connection=DSN=SAMPLE
UID=samuel
disabled=yes

I also tested the same from "Sql Connection Manager" dialog from Studio, and the same issue does not happen there. only from dbExplorer.

Regards

Samuel Pizarro
3-Oct-2018, 07:08 PM
bump!

Martin Moleman
4-Oct-2018, 02:34 AM
Samuel,

Vincent is out on holiday. I am sure he will look at this when he gets back.

I tried to reproduce, but was unable to do so. Can you provide screenshots how you did this in Alpha 5? (Because I don't see the 'Extra' form when I try this in dbExplorer A5?)

Samuel Pizarro
4-Oct-2018, 07:17 AM
Hi Martin

Thanks for your input and let me know about Vincent's agenda!

I guess I was not clear again. That was the part that got better.. There is really no "Extra" form in the new dialog (A5) anymore. So It's content was not changed.

What still persist as not-desired is the fact the connectionID continues to get disabled when you close the "Edit Connection" dialog without making any change.

There you go, with the sequence of events and screen-shots.

Open dbExplorer, select workspaces and open "Connection IDs"

Here is my original DFConnId.ini file before the exercise:

[connection1]
id=db2sample
driver=DB2_DRV
connection=DSN=SAMPLE
UID=samuel

Later, click on "Edit" button from the toolbar. The Edit dialgo will be shown like this:

Do NOT perform any change, just click the "OK" button.

The ConnectionID got disabled.

And the final DFConnId.ini file:

[connection1]
id=db2sample
driver=DB2_DRV
connection=DSN=SAMPLE
UID=samuel

Vincent Oorsprong
27-Oct-2018, 02:34 AM
Samuel,

I've correct the location and size of the DSN group and controls in the dialog.

Since I need an environment with DB2 I cannot test the behavior of disabling as I cannot login and I will always get it disabled.

Samuel Pizarro
27-Oct-2018, 04:48 PM
Hi Vincent, Martin

I've correct the location and size of the DSN group and controls in the dialog.
I had not noticed that.. Was not even worried about this... but good.

Since I need an environment with DB2 I cannot test the behavior of disabling as I cannot login and I will always get it disabled.
Ok. Can someone else test it? Martin maybe ?

Why does it get disabled? It does not matter if you can login or not. The dialog was opened to edit the connection, but nothing was changed and the dialog was just closed. Nothing should be changed in the connection settings. If it was "enabled" before, it should continue "enabled". That's my point.

Also, Why dbExplorer Connection dialog have this "Active" column? The dialog from Studio don't have that. There there is only one checkbox column... "Enabled"

Shouldn't they be made consistent ? What "Active" is different from "Enabled" . The help does not say anything about it, even when talking about the Connections Dialog, and neither in Connections INI file specifications. The help just mentions the "Enabled/disabled" concept.

----------------// help section \\----------------------------
The Connections INI File Format

The connections INI file consists of one or more connection sections. Each section is identified with the name "connection" followed by a number making each section name unique ([connection1], [connection2], etc.). A section name has no meaning and you should not attempt to make use of its value. When the Studio’s Connection Manager writes out changes, the name of sections may change.

disabled=

If this connection is disabled it should be "disabled=yes". If multiple connection sections contain the same "id", only one can be enabled – all others must be disabled. Optional.

----------------//----------------------------

Regards

Vincent Oorsprong
30-Oct-2018, 05:08 AM
Samuel,

Why does it get disabled? It does not matter if you can login or not. The dialog was opened to edit the connection, but nothing was changed and the dialog was just closed. Nothing should be changed in the connection settings. If it was "enabled" before, it should continue "enabled". That's my point.

On OK the connection is tested and if it fails it will disable the option. If you want to keep what is there simply click CANCEL.

Why dbExplorer Connection dialog have this "Active" column? The dialog from Studio don't have that
There are more differences between DBE and the other tools and the differences are "needed". The active column shows whether the connection is registered in the array of connections.