PDA

View Full Version : User count exceeded for this licence

Mike Peat
14-Sep-2018, 03:59 AM
I note there has been a change to how 19.1 handles setting up a new web app. Rather than warning you that you need to be running "as Administrator" to set up a new WebApp and kicking you back to the "Create New" dialog, 19.1 now asks if you want to allow the program to make changes to this computer (essentially asking to switch to "as Administrator" dynamically).

Good! :) That's always been a PITA.

However, what happens next is you get "User count exceeded for this licence", followed by "Unable to launch Initialize WebApp wizard. This wizards requires Windows Administrator Access rights."

Bad! :(

I was not running any other 19.1 apps/utilities (except for all the WebApps running as services of course) when this happened. It looks like the Studio (running as me) and the WebApp wizard (now running "as Administrator") counts as two developers on a one developer licence. (A reboot does not fix this: reboot --> open 19.1 studio --> select "Order Entry Tab" workspace --> File --> New --> Project --> Desktop Web Project (or Mobile Web Project) and the problem happens.)

Mike

Stephen W. Meeley
14-Sep-2018, 01:09 PM
Hi Mike,

I don't see this behavior and it really wouldn't make sense anyway. Even though a Studio license is for a single developer, the value for "users" internally is 3. You can see this through the registration program. So even if the user count was being incremented (and I still need to check that) you would only be at 2, not 4 (which is what it would take to trigger the error).

Do you have other compiled 19.1 programs running under different user accounts (like something running as a service)?

Also, are you running 19.1 with your own serial number or SN 5001? If your own, can you email me the code so I can test it here?

Update: I ran some tests and having one program running with elevated rights is seen by Windows as a different user - which temporarily puts the user count at 2 in my tests. But this still doesn't explain why you would see the user count exceeded error. I tested with both SN 5001 and another Studio license.

Mike Peat
16-Sep-2018, 07:21 AM
Stephen

Yes, I have several programs (already) in 19.1 running as a service, if by that our mean webapps, however none other than those.

I think the reboot was what totally convinced me I was seeing a real thing. I am running on Windows 7, BTW.

I am running under my own licence code: I'll e-mail you it.

I have seen this behaviour under earlier versions of DF as well.

Mike

Stephen W. Meeley
16-Sep-2018, 10:38 AM
Mike,

Update: I got your code and it is indeed a Studio with a user count of 1. This explains why you see the behavior and I've asked Fern or Janine to fix your count. Why you ended up with a Studio that had a user count of 1? I can't say.

WebApps don't count as windows users. For instance...

In 19.1 I have 4 web applications running and yet when I run the Studio (or any other 19.1 windows program), get_current_user_count is only 1.
I can also run any number of 19.1 windows applications along with the Studio and get_current_user_count is still only 1 (and right now I have about 12 19.1 windows applications running).
It works this way because all the windows programs are running under the same user account (how I'm logged in)
As I confirmed yesterday, if I run any of the 19.1 windows applications with elevated rights that consumes a second user because windows determines that the standard process and the elevated process are two different users

Note that if I run a number of windows programs with elevated rights it's sill only one additional user, not per-process

If I take a windows program and run it as a service (again, this is NOT a webapp, it's a windows program - likely without a user interface - running as a service) it will also consume a user because that process will be run under a user login (perhaps the system account) that isn't my login

If I have multiples of these they may consume additional users depending on if they run under different accounts

So again, unless you are running windows programs as services I don't see how you could be exceeding your user count (unless it's not properly set to 3 - as all Studio licenses should be). Write a little program that shows you the values of get-current_user_count and get_licensed_max_users to see what the current situation is on your machine.

Does this make sense?

Mike Peat
16-Sep-2018, 10:38 AM
As a sanity check, I have just gone through the process again:

Reboot --> Run DF 19.1 Studio --> Open Web Order Tab workspace --> File --> New --> Project --> Desktop Web Project --> Allow this program to make changes? --> User count exceeded for this licence --> Web Application cannot be created --> back to "Create New..." dialog. :(

Even stopping the DF WebApp service, thus presumably stopping any 19.1 WebApps from running, does not change this behaviour.

Mike

Samuel Pizarro
16-Sep-2018, 02:29 PM
I beleive he said your code license was wrongly generate as 1 user only instead of 3.

You should receive a new code from them.

wila
16-Sep-2018, 05:13 PM
Open your Studio, menu Help -> About -> System Info
The last line should say:

Max. Number of Licensed Users: 3

--
Wil

Mike Peat
17-Sep-2018, 02:41 AM
Wil - it says 1, which is the problem

However as I said elsewhere, DAE are on the case and will fix.

Update: new code fixes problem - thanks DAE! :)

Mike