PDA

View Full Version : Link errors

danwalsh46
13-Aug-2018, 02:44 PM
Recompiling a webapp multiple times today, on three occasions I have gotten link errors:

- LINK ERROR: UNABLE TO ADD THE BITMAPS
There are no bitmaps. Recompiling again made this go away.

- LINK ERROR: UNABLE TO ADD THE ICONS

There are no icons. Recompiling again made this go away.

- LINK ERROR: END UPDATE RESOURCE FAILED
- LINK ERROR: UNABLE TO ADD THE DF-IMAGE
This one went away on the third try.

This is the WebApp to which I added a manifest file, if that helps.

starzen
13-Aug-2018, 03:15 PM
do you have any anti virus anti malware programs?

Try excluding the programs folders

Lately i am getting more and more issues with DF compiled programs but tbh it isnt just limited to DF. Also getting issues with Visual Studio compiles sometimes as well

danwalsh46
13-Aug-2018, 03:34 PM
Ah, I'll bet it's possibly Carbonite trying to backup a file involved in the compile. It's intermittent, I've seen Carbonite thwart my attempts to save a PDF I'm editing. Same thing, try again and it works.

Thanks for the input.

Harm Wibier
14-Aug-2018, 03:02 AM
The new linker in 19.1 (the component that puts together all the pieces into the runnable .exe file) seems to be more sensitive to virus scanners (and possibly backup tools as well). The main difference with the old linker is that it now writes out a file to disk and then alters that file (using standard windows API's) instead of building the entire file in memory and writing it at once. These errors seem to be caused by other software opening the file directly after it has been written, that seems to block these windows functions from writing to the file causing these errors.

Could you test with the suspected software disabled and confirm to us if that solves it or not?

danwalsh46
14-Aug-2018, 10:46 AM
I suspended the Carbonite backup and recompiled 4 times without a repeat of the problem.

Michael Mullan
14-Aug-2018, 12:14 PM
Can you make the linker open the file exclusively, so other programs cant touch?

Harm Wibier
15-Aug-2018, 02:39 AM
Can you make the linker open the file exclusively, so other programs cant touch?
That might block the windows API we use from accessing the file as well. We are looking into it (although the linker guy is on vacation right now, but when he gets back he will be on top of this).