PDA

View Full Version : Mapi

Bob Worsley
7-Jul-2018, 11:28 AM
The legacy programs that I'm working with, 20 years old as I mentioned in a previous thread, use the old MAPI packages in the DF PKG folder. Compiling under 19.1 I get a bunch of these warnings:

- Including file: cMapiHandler.Pkg (C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\cMapiHandler.Pkg)
- Warning 4536: C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\cMapiHandler.Pkg (ln 1) cMapiHandler.pkg is obsolete
- Including file: cReceiversArray.Pkg (C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\cReceiversArray.Pkg)
- Warning 4536: C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\cReceiversArray.Pkg (ln 1) cReceiversArray.pkg is obsolete
- Including file: cAttachmentsArray.Pkg (C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\cAttachmentsArray.Pkg)
- Warning 4536: C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\cAttachmentsArray.Pkg (ln 1) cAttachmentsArray.pkg is obsolete
- Including file: cRecipientsArray.Pkg (C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\cRecipientsArray.Pkg)
- Warning 4536: C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\cRecipientsArray.Pkg (ln 1) cReceipientsArray.pkg is obsolete
- Including file: MapiConstants.Pkg (C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\MapiConstants.Pkg)
- Warning 4536: C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\MapiConstants.Pkg (ln 1) MapiSession.pkg is obsolete

and then what seems like hundreds of the following"

- Warning 4532: C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\MapiConstants.Pkg (ln 2) Obsolete command: Type. Use Struct/End_Struct
- Warning 4532: C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\MapiConstants.Pkg (ln 3) Obsolete command: Field. Use Struct/End_Struct and variable types
- Warning 4532: C:\Program Files (x86)\DataFlex 19.1\Pkg\MapiConstants.Pkg (ln 4) Obsolete command: End_Type. Use Struct/End_Struct

I know the current stand on MAPI and Vincent provided the following in another thread:

Alternatives:
- COM or DLL solutions that use SMTP and a mail server
- COM connection to Microsoft Outlook

1. Will DAW ever clean up these "Obsolete command" instances? I'd guess not or they'd already be done, right?
2. How urgent is this? Are the packages going to go away entirely at some point in the future? Or will they eventually just stop working?

I'm just trying to plan for the future and have to advise management on what we should be doing for this since they rely heavily on Outlook and MAPI and from what I've heard don't want to hear about SMTP. What I vaguely remember is that they have concerns about the security of SMTP though I don't remember the specifics of that concern. And since I've been using SMTP for many years, has have most on this forum, I'm surprised at that concern.

Stephen W. Meeley
7-Jul-2018, 12:12 PM
Bob,

1. It is not our intent to clean up obsolete packages. You can always suspend warnings in the obsolete packages if you prefer.

2. There is no specific "drop dead" date for the various obsolete packages and commands. That said, the reason we have implemented the warnings now is to give developers plenty of time to plan to address legacy usage that may not be supported (or at least highly undesirable) in the NextGen (Unicode / 64-bit) project.

Bob Worsley
7-Jul-2018, 01:48 PM
usage that may not be supported (or at least highly undesirable) in the NextGen (Unicode / 64-bit) project. Kinda what I thought...