PDA

View Full Version : 19.1 Studio still not able to handle multiple screens with different scaling

starzen
12-Jun-2018, 04:25 PM
reported this before.

multiple 4K screens some with 100% scaling others with scaling other than 100. Cant move any of the studio windows across to the other screens if the scaling is different

John van Houten
13-Jun-2018, 01:50 PM
Hi Mike,

When you say "Cant move any of the studio windows across to the other screens if the scaling is different" I assume that you mean that you 'can' move them but the scaling does not change dynamically and so the screen looks bad.... right?

John van Houten

starzen
14-Jun-2018, 07:39 AM
Hi Mike,

When you say "Cant move any of the studio windows across to the other screens if the scaling is different" I assume that you mean that you 'can' move them but the scaling does not change dynamically and so the screen looks bad.... right?

John van Houten

no you cant physically move then across. They get stuck. I have reported this several times for the last few revisions of DF

Dennis Piccioni
14-Jun-2018, 07:40 AM
That works for me. Are there specific Windows that have this issue?

starzen
14-Jun-2018, 08:33 AM

havent checked all but the webapp preview window is def an issue

let me try a few

starzen
14-Jun-2018, 08:37 AM

looks like its pretty much all the windows

here is some more details

i am running multiple 4K screens, one of them is a 17" laptop screen. of course on that i run a higher scaling say 175%.
The main screen is 4K at 100%.

When i drag a window from the studio over across the two screens it either gets stuck in between or it jumps to some other odd location of the source screen

i even tried to trick it by pushing it out to the other screen so part of it shows on the other screen and then grabbing it from the other side but it doesnt work either

Dennis Piccioni
14-Jun-2018, 08:55 AM
My main monitor is a 32" running at 2560*1440 @ 100%, my second monitor is a 28" running at 4k (3840 * 2160) @ 150%.

I can drag any window to any place on either monitor, inside or outside the Studio, and it just works.

starzen
14-Jun-2018, 12:07 PM
My main monitor is a 32" running at 2560*1440 @ 100%, my second monitor is a 28" running at 4k (3840 * 2160) @ 150%.

I can drag any window to any place on either monitor, inside or outside the Studio, and it just works.

when i drag from my 32" (4K screen at 100%) to my laptop screen (4K at 175%) it just jumps

here is a quick video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFiAtYSNl30&feature=youtu.be

matthewd
14-Jun-2018, 02:13 PM
I am seeing the same thing Mike is. I have a 4K monitor running at 150% and a 1600x1200 secondary monitor running at 100%.

If I drag a Studio window (for instance, the To Do list) from the primary monitor to the secondary monitor, it pops back over to the primary monitor. The scaling of the window also changes from 150% to 100%, so my guess is this happens when Windows notifies the window that it is moving to a different monitor with a different scaling percentage. It happens before I let go of the mouse button, while the window is partially on both monitors.

I did manage to get it to work properly with a little experimentation. If I right click on the title bar of the To Do list window and select Move from the popup menu, then proceed to move the window with the mouse, it works properly.

John van Houten
14-Jun-2018, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the video Mike.

I can reproduce the problem. If your "main" monitor is to the right of your "second" monitor then the second monitor will have negative horizontal co-ordinates. Now if the two monitors have different DPI scale settings then none of the Studio's Floating Tool Panel windows can be dragged into the left panel (i.e the second monitor with negative co-ordinates).

These Studio panels that have the problem are based on a CodeJock control for dockable floating panels and that is where the error is happening. You do not see the problem with any of the Studio's regular (DataFlex) modal dialogs.

I can see what is happening and think I have an explanation. When you drag the floating panel towards the left monitor, Windows will send a notification to it when more than 50% of the panel is in the left monitor. The notification is to tell the panel that it is now dragged into a monitor that has a different DPI Scale. It would seem that the CodeJock Docking panel responds to this notification and part of that response is to set the location co-ordinates (even if that should not be necessary). It would seem that this algorithm cannot handle negative co-ordinates so the negative horizontal co-ordinate becomes a positive horizontal co-ordinate which moves the panel back into the main monitor (on the right).

The fix will be in the CodeJock C code we use for these panels.

Thanks Mike, I will log this bug.

regards John van Houten

Stephen W. Meeley
22-Jun-2018, 08:48 AM
Mike,

As John van Houten mentioned, we traced this behavior to the CodeJock panels. We've updated our MFC version of CodeJock (this is what the Studio uses) to CJ 18.3 but that didn't change this behavior. There don't seem to be any other reports of this in the CodeJock forums and we've submitted our own report. We have this logged as a bug but can't really take it any further until we see what CodeJock has to say. Not sure yet if this will be able to be addressed in the 19.1 project.

Stephen W. Meeley
26-Jun-2018, 08:45 AM
Michael,

No change on this in Alpha 3, but we're still looking for a fix.