PDA

View Full Version : Bit late for 19.0, documenting sws

DaveR
20-Apr-2017, 03:35 PM
In my Global.sws it would be really handy to be able to document why some entries are there

I'd like to be able to do something like:
Lib2=..\..\Libraries3rdPartyKFSubv\Autocomplete\Au tocomplete190.sws //required for Purchase orders programs
Lib4=..\..\Libraries3rdPartyKFSubv\vdfimg1_9.18.1\ VDFImg1_9190.sws //required for visual onhand and gemfinder programs

or is that already possible?

Samuel Pizarro
21-Apr-2017, 08:54 AM
The sws files seems to follow .ini standard

I would try to use the single quote character ' for line comments. <<-- wrong

EDIT: ini uses ; as line comments. Thanks jose!

PS.: not tested

DaveR
21-Apr-2017, 09:21 AM
thanks, I'll try it.

Jose
21-Apr-2017, 10:02 AM
Hi,

Shouldn't be it ";" or "#"? I tend to use the semicolon in Windows.

Regards.

Samuel Pizarro
21-Apr-2017, 12:53 PM
Yeah Jose, you are right.

ini uses ; as line comments, not the single quote '

I may have confused it with some other standard.

Thanks

DaveR
21-Apr-2017, 01:42 PM
Yeah Jose, you are right.

ini uses ; as line comments, not the single quote '

I may have confused it with some other standard.

Thanks

stillhaven'ttriedit.

Oh look, that thing happened!

Evertjan Dondergoor
21-Apr-2017, 03:13 PM
:rolleyes:

Stephen W. Meeley
21-Apr-2017, 03:35 PM
Dave,

Unfortunately you can't put a comment on the same line as the library inclusion (it can't parse it correctly). You can add separate lines with the ; comment - but - if you then do anything that regenerates that section, like adding or removing a library, the entire section gets regenerated and you loose the extra comment lines.

What does seem to work is adding a whole new section that the Studio doesn't know (or care) about. So you could do something like this...

[Properties]
Version=19.0
; this is a test of a comment - it would go away if I ever updated the version of this workspace
[WorkspacePaths]
ConfigFile=.\Programs\Config.ws
[Projects]
Project0=Order.src
[My Comments]
; I'm just gonna put a bunch of comments in here
; Don't know if I need the semicolons or not
[Libraries]
Lib1=..\Example Library\Example Library.sws

And as you change sections the Studio does care about (project, libraries, workspace paths) they tend to move around a bit (they get regenerated at the end).

Onward!

DaveR
24-Apr-2017, 09:13 AM
Dave,

Unfortunately you can't put a comment on the same line as the library inclusion (it can't parse it correctly). You can add separate lines with the ; comment - but - if you then do anything that regenerates that section, like adding or removing a library, the entire section gets regenerated and you loose the extra comment lines.

What does seem to work is adding a whole new section that the Studio doesn't know (or care) about. So you could do something like this...

[Properties]
Version=19.0
; this is a test of a comment - it would go away if I ever updated the version of this workspace
[WorkspacePaths]
ConfigFile=.\Programs\Config.ws
[Projects]
Project0=Order.src
[My Comments]
; I'm just gonna put a bunch of comments in here
; Don't know if I need the semicolons or not
[Libraries]
Lib1=..\Example Library\Example Library.sws

And as you change sections the Studio does care about (project, libraries, workspace paths) they tend to move around a bit (they get regenerated at the end).

Onward!

Funnily enough I've done that by accident before by pasting and having the wrong stuff in the clipboard, and IIRC you're right, it didn't complain.