PDA

View Full Version : Studio -> Database -> SQL Conversion Wizard …

Clive Richmond
3-Apr-2017, 04:21 AM
Let me start by saying what I describe below is really something no person would probably actually do. But what the heck the wizard allowed me so I just carried on.

Not sure if this is by design or a problem. Either way I’d be surprised if this is something new to 19.0 but the SQL Conversion Wizard does allow you to enter no server or database when using legacy mode. With managed connections, you may create a connection id as such – it will warn you when you save - but the wizard prevents you from continuing any further as it reports it cannot login to the server.

And the result

(DataFlex 19.0b)

Samuel Pizarro
3-Apr-2017, 08:28 AM
But the login was successful !!

So DF really connected to something. the server-name I undestand to be "blank". Some one can argue that it will try to connect to localhost in this case, which makes sense.
But for the database, What database it connected to ? where your table ended up ? MASTER ?

Clive Richmond
4-Apr-2017, 03:46 AM
Hi Samuel,

But the login was successful !!

So DF really connected to something. the server-name I undestand to be "blank". Some one can argue that it will try to connect to localhost in this case, which makes sense.

Yes the login must have been successful since the tables were created. And I assume it defaulted to (local).

That would certainly explain it but I am not sure it makes much sense. :)

But for the database, What database it connected to ? where your table ended up ? MASTER ?

Correct. Not sure too many DBAs would be happy with this?

When I restarted the Studio the connection manager pops up the database login requesting the UID/PWD. You have to cancel and then it lets you continue to edit tables etc.

Like I said in my original post this is probably not something we should be doing. It's just going to lead to trouble :eek:

Bob Cergol
4-Apr-2017, 09:56 AM
Every user credential -- including those for trusted authentication, have a default database and a default language. "Master" seems to be the default database. I want to remember reading somewhere, that it is recommended, for security purposes, to change this to either tempdb, or an actual database the particular user should have access to.

You can see these defaults in the Login Properties panel for any credential found under the Logins branch under Security in SSMS.

Bob

Dennis Piccioni
4-Apr-2017, 09:59 AM
Hi Clive,

I've logged a suggestion to review this after we return from Synergy.