PDA

View Full Version : Issues with WordPress

Chris Spencer
12-Mar-2017, 10:46 PM
I have developed a webapp that will eventually run in a wordpress site.

Testing the webapp on the server via the websit url works fine. However not so through the integration within the WordPress site.

I can run it ok through the WP site but others are getting issues.
Running through the wordpress site the attached error pops up.

Now this development is for another developer and he is working with the WP people
to get the integration working so I am unsure of exact issue, so started this thread so he may jump in and comment.

Mike Peat
13-Mar-2017, 03:30 AM
Chris

I'll await the other developer's input, if I may.

Mike

Chris Spencer
13-Mar-2017, 04:26 PM
Sure Mike

I will chase him up to add to this

PaulRicardo
13-Mar-2017, 06:18 PM
Mike
Chris has been assisting me with this development. Sorry for the delay in responding, the problem seems to be isolated to some versions of IE and I had to get back to the computer on which I had the problem. It is running IE9 v9.0.8112.16421. The application is a booking form which sends an email to the site owner. On this version of IE I get the error Unhandled Program Error on the client. The application was unable to communicate with the server Error:999. After pressing ok the booking form disappears from the side bar and from the make a booking page. The development site is http://coastwide.crankit.com.au/.

We have also had a problem on IE11. Session key not known (reload page to recreate session)

It seems to be working ok on Chrome and Firefox.

I hope you can assist
regards,
Paul

Marco
13-Mar-2017, 09:53 PM
Hi Paul
Just clicked the link, from my iPhone, and got the session message. I suggest you suppress this and just create a new session when/if required.
The site looks great btw!

PaulRicardo
14-Mar-2017, 07:04 AM
Hi Marco
Thanks for the suggestion and comments. Do you mean suppress the message within the program so the end user is not aware it has occurred? This may be a work around for the session message.

The bigger problem is the error I get with IE 9 because it seems to disable the booking page altogether. The site is to be used by any potential customer so it will be embarrassing if it doesn't work across the board. I know these things happen everywhere, even the Australian Tax office was having problems with their site not working with some browsers this week and they were sending out patches for browsers. Hopefully there is an easier fix for this one.

Paul

Evertjan Dondergoor
14-Mar-2017, 07:31 AM
Even with Chrome there are erros, just not on the screen. Check it witht he chrome-debugger. It shows a CORS warning and a 403 forbidden.
IE-9 might handle these errors differently. Also I'm not sure about CORS support for IE-9. A quick google gives this link:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10232017/ie9-jquery-ajax-with-cors-returns-access-is-denied#10232313

PaulRicardo
16-Mar-2017, 10:57 PM
Hi Mike
Any thoughts on this yet? Are we looking at a wider CORS issue here or do you think there is a fix for this?
regards,
Paul

Mike Peat
18-Mar-2017, 12:26 PM
Paul

Sorry - been sway on customer site.

I don't think this is a CORS issue: that stuff looks like it is working to me. Evertjan, what did you think was wrong with it?

I think it is down to the fact that the DatFlex cookie - dfWebApp - has an empty value (see first attachment).

If I load the app directly from dataflex.acs.net.au/cwat/index.html then that cookie has a valid value (see second attachment).

Mike

Evertjan Dondergoor
18-Mar-2017, 01:35 PM
Wut?
As mentioned, the browser-debuggers shows errors. The link I posted shows some information about IE-9, CORS and jQuery.

Mike Peat
19-Mar-2017, 06:59 AM
Thanks Evertjan

Now, correct me if I am wrong (and I more that half expect to be ;))...

AFAICS, the IE stuff mentioning CORS is just informational: noting that those CORS requests have occurred. As I mentioned before, I hardly ever use IE, so I might be misreading that.

OTOH, the Chrome stuff about CORS is just a warning that these items will block parsing (because invoked through document.write), so if the device has poor network connectivity, they themselves may be blocked by Chrome to ensure that the page gets loaded in a reasonable time, not that there is anything inherently wrong with them, as Google point out at https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5718547946799104:

For users on slow connections such as 2G, the performance penalty from third-party scripts loaded via document.write is often so severe as to delay display of main page content for tens of seconds. This feature will block the load of cross-origin, parser-blocking scripts inserted via document.write in case of an HTTP cache miss for users on a 2G connection. The feature will only be applicable to such scripts in the main frame.

So I don't think that is the issue.

The actual "403 - Forbidden" error that Chrome shows seems to have to do with a jQuery call: http://coastwide.crankit.com.au/?_wpcf7_is_ajax_call=1&_wpcf7=111&_wpcf7_request_ver=1489923180733 - nothing to do with DataFlex AFAICS. I also see that getting 403 in Firefox and IE Network tabs.

Mike

AustCompSo
19-Mar-2017, 06:23 PM
Thanks Evertjan

AFAICS, the IE stuff mentioning CORS is just informational: noting that those CORS requests have occurred. As I mentioned before, I hardly ever use IE, so I might be misreading that.

OTOH, the Chrome stuff about CORS is just a warning that these items will block parsing (because invoked through document.write), so if the device has poor network connectivity, they themselves may be blocked by Chrome to ensure that the page gets loaded in a reasonable time, not that there is anything inherently wrong with them, as Google point out at https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5718547946799104:

The actual "403 - Forbidden" error that Chrome shows seems to have to do with a jQuery call: http://coastwide.crankit.com.au/?_wpcf7_is_ajax_call=1&_wpcf7=111&_wpcf7_request_ver=1489923180733 - nothing to do with DataFlex AFAICS. I also see that getting 403 in Firefox and IE Network tabs.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I thought you may be on to something with the poor network connectivity as we were experiencing slow loading of the page last week. The development site for the php content is somewhere in Brisbane and our Dataflex server is in house. However, the development site is giving a 16ms response time but that may not be the slowest part of the process.

Ultimately when the site is handed over to the client it will be hosted on a server in the same data center as the dataflex server. I am talking to the Wordpress developer with regard to moving the site to a local server for testing. I can see issues relating to hand over of the site and them being satisfied that they will be paid for their work. Both the client and us have had no previous dealings with the company doing the Wordpress site.

If you can suggest any tests I could do to isolate a performance issue I am happy to do this.
regards
Paul

PaulRicardo
19-Mar-2017, 06:38 PM
Thanks Evertjan

Mike

Sorry Mike I'm a novice with forums and I replied on a computer that logged in with an old user name. Repeating the post below....

Thanks Mike,

I thought you may be on to something with the poor network connectivity as we were experiencing slow loading of the page last week. The development site for the php content is somewhere in Brisbane and our Dataflex server is in house. However, the development site is giving a 16ms response time but that may not be the slowest part of the process.

Ultimately when the site is handed over to the client it will be hosted on a server in the same data center as the dataflex server. I am talking to the Wordpress developer with regard to moving the site to a local server for testing. I can see issues relating to hand over of the site and them being satisfied that they will be paid for their work. Both the client and us have had no previous dealings with the company doing the Wordpress site.

If you can suggest any tests I could do to isolate a performance issue I am happy to do this.
regards
Paul

Michael Mullan
19-Mar-2017, 10:22 PM
You've got an extra ed

Our drivers wear a uniformed for easy identification

Nice site tho.

MM

Evertjan Dondergoor
20-Mar-2017, 06:02 AM
No, it has nothing to do with Dataflex.

I don't want to get too deeply involved into this, but my point was:
- The site has issues with IE-9
- The site uses CORS
- IE-9 has known problems with CORS.

Now I read that the setup is going to change, so it might not be an issue at all. But it also might not going to work with IE-9 at all.

Mike Peat
21-Mar-2017, 03:02 AM
Ah, yes. I see your point now.

Mike

PaulRicardo
28-Mar-2017, 05:29 AM
Hi Mike,
We have setup the Wordpress site on another c-Panel server in the same data centre as the dataflex server. As expected performance is much better but the result is the same from IE9 with the same error. Seems to work ok from Chrome, Firefox, Edge and also IE11.

I am wondering if this is an IE legacy problem that won't go away. If so I will have to see if the client is happy not to support old problematic browsers, perhaps with a note on the site indicating preferred browsers. Otherwise it might be back to a php booking form with data transfer via emails.

Have you had any more thoughts?
regards,
Paul

wila
28-Mar-2017, 09:11 AM
I am wondering if this is an IE legacy problem that won't go away.

PMJI, the last operating system on which IE9 is supported is Microsoft Vista. Vista is out of support next month!
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Microsoft only supports IE11 as lowest version:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support

While wanting to support legacy browsers is a noble standpoint, it will also cost an unholy amount of resources that is probably better spent elsewhere.
--
Wil

PaulRicardo
28-Mar-2017, 10:53 PM
While wanting to support legacy browsers is a noble standpoint, it will also cost an unholy amount of resources that is probably better spent elsewhere.
--
Wil[/QUOTE]

I agree Wil. Often the challenge is convincing the client of this. As it turns out I have discussed this with the client this morning and we have the go ahead to ignore the problem with IE9
Paul

Mike Peat
29-Mar-2017, 02:36 AM
Paul

That's good news. I did find this article (https://www.webdavsystem.com/ajax/programming/cross_origin_requests) which seems to offer a fix for the problem at the browser end, but it looks like it requires an unholy amount of fiddling by the user - frankly they'd be better just upgrading their browser. :(

It is hard for me to offer much more help, because I don't have a system with IE 9 on it. (I've got XP, but it only has IE 8, while my Win7 and Win10 systems are far beyond that now.)

Mike

Marco
29-Mar-2017, 04:56 PM
Hi Mike
See https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

Where Microsoft makes virtual machines with most OS/IE combinations available for download, including tips for extending the trial licences.

Mike Peat
30-Mar-2017, 02:39 AM
Thanks Marco - interesting. (although bl00dy stupid that you need a whole VM just to test an old version of a browser!)