PDA

View Full Version : Studio Toolbar Icons

starzen
24-Jan-2017, 01:36 PM
In general the new studio icons are hard to work with. They all look so similar that it makes it hard to find what you need

macro recording and stop debugging are way to close in looks

phvwijk
25-Jan-2017, 08:49 PM
Hi,

More or less with you on this. It sort of looks nice. But I do click on the icon because I know the location of the icons I need not because I recognize them instantly. Working full time with the alpha since day of release and still do not get used to it.

Peter

Harm Wibier
26-Jan-2017, 02:12 AM
Having looked at these icons for a few months now and I can assure that you will get used to them..

Bob Worsley
26-Jan-2017, 10:44 AM
Having looked at these icons for a few months now and I can assure that you will get used to them..Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I like them. I agree with the others (so far), I find them tougher to read. They appear smaller even if not and some look very similar to others making selection a little confusing in some instances. My 2 cents...

DaveR
26-Jan-2017, 11:20 AM
Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I like them. I agree with the others (so far), I find them tougher to read. They appear smaller even if not and some look very similar to others making selection a little confusing in some instances. My 2 cents...

I'm in the middle on this. Some of the new icons are as obvious as the old ones but not all of them. In some the icon has coloured elements and I believe that helps (me) a bit. Aging eyes would like them marginally bigger though.

My own 2 cents, which is worth 1.22 of yours. :cool:

starzen
26-Jan-2017, 01:36 PM
getting used to them doesnt mean that they are good

you can get used to lousy food also

a lot of the icons are too close in looks and with almost no color in them they are terrible to work with. Clicking wrong icons, trying to find the right ones.

never had this issue before

wila
26-Jan-2017, 07:30 PM
They appear smaller even if not

They appear quite huge to me.
Here's 18.2 as comparison

My first reaction on when I started using 19 was... where's the code?
Next was .. oh the toolbars are HUGE.
Then.. hey .. tunnel vision?

Of course I do minimize the toolbar in 19 down to just one row by not displaying a bunch of lesser used icon groups.
Also note that the resolution is 1440x900 (my max comfortable working resolution) and that DPI is set at 125%.
Bigger screens don't work for me.

Luckily I don't write much of my actual code in the Studio.

--
Wil

Harm Wibier
27-Jan-2017, 04:02 AM
Also note that the resolution is 1440x900 (my max comfortable working resolution) and that DPI is set at 125%.
Bigger screens don't work for me.

That is not a lot of real estate to work with. 1440x900 on 100% is a small working area these days..

wila
27-Jan-2017, 04:39 AM
Harm,

We clearly have never met.

It is the maximum I can work with on Windows and that won't change as I cannot get myself a new pair of eyes.
Oh a pair of eyes would be nice too. :p
In that case I probably would have been able to use a bigger screen, unfortunately at 27" it stops for me.

FWIW, I've met a surprising high number of people that have to make do with a lower screen resolution because of their visual impairment, even within the DataFlex community.

--
Wil

Harm Wibier
27-Jan-2017, 05:58 AM
I figured you had a good reason for that. I was just drawing the conclusion that there just is no wrong or right in this, we can’t make everyone happy.

chuckatkinson
27-Jan-2017, 07:01 AM
You might start appreciating 19.0 and scalable icons if you start working on higher resolution monitors (2560x1440 or higher).

Top is 18.2 which is basically unusable.

The Start Center is even worse and is NOT fixed in 19.0

Stephen W. Meeley
27-Jan-2017, 07:34 AM
Chuck,

The Start Center will have proper DPI scaling in Alpha 2.

chuckatkinson
27-Jan-2017, 07:51 AM
Great. I love my new monitor but it makes working in DataFlex difficult. I've tried all kinds of scaling up to 300% and nothing looks right. Even Microsoft apps (like SQL Server Management Studio) looks strange at times.

starzen
27-Jan-2017, 02:37 PM
You might start appreciating 19.0 and scalable icons if you start working on higher resolution monitors (2560x1440 or higher).

Top is 18.2 which is basically unusable.

The Start Center is even worse and is NOT fixed in 19.0

i am using 4K screens both external and internal laptop display

problem is not the size of the icons but the fact that they all look alike. might as well just use empty squares

phvwijk
28-Jan-2017, 08:58 AM
problem is not the size of the icons but the fact that they all look alike. might as well just use empty squares

I am using 32 inch 4K screen. No problem with whatever software I am using.

But because they are all sort of grey look alike is also the difference between Enabled and not Enabled hard to spot which makes you have to "investigate" more icons then needed. Take a look at all software most of us will be using. MS Office, MSSQL Management studio, merge tool, one of the better icons tool (Axialis IconWorkshop). All have the use of colors. They grey look made it all the same.

Peter

DaveR
28-Jan-2017, 12:23 PM
I am using 32 inch 4K screen. No problem with whatever software I am using.

But because they are all sort of grey look alike is also the difference between Enabled and not Enabled hard to spot which makes you have to "investigate" more icons then needed. Take a look at all software most of us will be using. MS Office, MSSQL Management studio, merge tool, one of the better icons tool (Axialis IconWorkshop). All have the use of colors. They grey look made it all the same.

Peter

This. A little tint would help a lot. Look even at the icons on this reply to thread dialog!

Michael Mullan
28-Jan-2017, 12:27 PM
Wil,

I'm really curious.

Luckily I don't write much of my actual code in the Studio.

What do you write code in that's more productive than the Studio?
What features does it have that make it "better" than the studio?

MM

Bob Worsley
28-Jan-2017, 01:06 PM
I think he uses the "Hammer", an editor that he wrote and which I think is on vdf-guidance

wila
30-Jan-2017, 07:38 AM
Hi,

I think he uses the "Hammer", an editor that he wrote and which I think is on vdf-guidance

Correct I do use "The Hammer" (http://www.vdf-guidance.com/The_Hammer.asp?Page=TH2DOWNLOAD) for writing most of my code. One correction though is that I did not write it myself, I just participated in the group of wonderful developers that wrote it as a community effort.
There's some of the original writers still using it besides me.
At the moment I'm the only one maintaining it as far as I know, but of course I welcome changes from others.

The original download on that page might work to get it installed, but it is very much out of date.

If you want to give it a try, it would be better to use subversion to check it out (so that it works with latest versions of DataFlex) and also grab the required datafiles (and other binaries) from:
http://svn.vdf-guidance.com/TheHammer/trunk/Hammer-vdf12-dependencies.zip

For me it is "better", because it is a plain code editor that I can adjust to my needs, it is not focused on just one release of DataFlex, I can edit any version of DataFlex with it and it has features that make it easy to open up the workspace or files I'm working on in the Studio.

Note that I use both, studio AND the Hammer. If I need to adjust anything visual I will switch to the Studio and there's a few other corner cases I would use the Studio before the Hammer.
But for the majority of the code I write it pretty much is "Hammer time" ;)

--
Wil