PDA

View Full Version : DbExplorer: Database Connections dialog

Clive Richmond
10-Jan-2017, 12:35 PM
When resizing a lot of space appears to the bottom and right of the grid.

Vincent Oorsprong
17-Jan-2017, 01:37 AM
Clive,

Thanks, changed.

Clive Richmond
3-Apr-2017, 12:13 AM
Hi Vincent,

Thanks, changed.

I wasn't quite expecting such a radical change from alpha-1.

In the current beta, the dialog, grid etc are now fixed and look as if it can't be resized. However, if you use the sys menu the dialog can be resized using the keyboard and the same problem exists.

Wouldn't it be better to fix the anchors instead of masking the problem?

(DataFlex 19.0b2)

Vincent Oorsprong
3-Apr-2017, 07:17 AM
Clive,

It was not possible to fix the anchors and I have now also blocked the resize by keyboard.

Clive Richmond
3-Apr-2017, 11:52 AM
Hi Vincent,

It was not possible to fix the anchors and I have now also blocked the resize by keyboard.

If the anchor problem can't be fixed, then I am inclined to vote to have the original behaviour (alpha-1).

I would rather have function over form. The latter in this particular case is cosmetic and the ability to resize the dialog and grid has far greater value. Please change it back.

Vincent Oorsprong
3-Apr-2017, 12:00 PM
Clive,

Why would it makes sense to resize this dialog?

Clive Richmond
3-Apr-2017, 01:25 PM
Vincent,

Why would it makes sense to resize this dialog?

Who knows how many entries one might have in the connection id file? Certainly, for ourselves I can see more than 10. 20? May be. Based on this post (https://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?60426-Connection-Manager-Add-a-Connection&p=319289#post319289)it might be as many as 300+.

What I do know is using a grid I should be able to expand it so as to view as much as possible without having to rely on the vertical scrollbar i.e. use as much of my screen’s real-estate as possible.

I noticed the grid use the cjGrid. Would it be possible to turn on the column sorting?

Vincent Oorsprong
3-Apr-2017, 01:33 PM
Clive,

Who knows how many entries one might have in the connection id file? Certainly, for ourselves I can see more than 10. 20? May be. Based on this post (https://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?60426-Connection-Manager-Add-a-Connection&p=319289#post319289)it might be as many as 300+.
I don't think one will ever create a connection IDs list with so many database connections for ONE workspace. I think that more than 5 is already "strange".

I noticed the grid use the cjGrid. Would it be possible to turn on the column sorting?
I don't think that should be done as it will be very confusing in combination with the MOVE UP/DOWN feature.

Chris Spencer
3-Apr-2017, 05:06 PM
I have a client who runs a bureau with 20 plus databases.

At times I may need to get a copy of a specific db to debug a difficult issue in one of his sites.

Currently (18.2) I edit mssqdrv.int to work with the database.

However in 19 I would just add all entries to the connection ids and activate the approriate one to debug as required , so more than 5 is not really "strange"

Vincent Oorsprong
4-Apr-2017, 10:28 AM
Chris,

Not sure if managed connections was meant to be used for something that. It sounds like you have a multi-tennant or multi-adminstration system.

Remaining question; would a resize of the connection IDs dialog make live easier? I can make resize working but it wasn't working with anchoring.

Clive Richmond
4-Apr-2017, 11:15 AM
Hi Vincent,

Remaining question; would a resize of the connection IDs dialog make live easier?

I am sure it might be for some. Especially those who have large screens with high-resolutions and the DPI has been raised.

FWIW I noticed the SQL Connection Manager in both the Studio and DbBuilder do resize. BTW I'd love it if those buttons had images on them.:cool:

(DataFlex 19.0b2)

Clive Richmond
4-Apr-2017, 11:20 AM
Hi Vincent,

I can make resize working but it wasn't working with anchoring.

Do you want us to tell us more about this problem?

The reason I ask is I am sure we had a similar issue when we first started using the new grids. And I am sure we resolved it. Or to put it another way I don't see this sort of behaviour in our application. So it might be the same issue (or it may not).