PDA

View Full Version : Studio -> Database -> Convert to SQL …

Clive Richmond
8-Jan-2017, 06:01 AM
When using this wizard to convert the Order Entry sample I wanted to use a managed connection. On the Database Selection page I selected “Managed Connections”. From the Connection Manager I selected “Add”. This prevented me from continuing any further as there was no option to search for a SQL server or create a database.

To complete the task I first had to backtrack and cancel the Convert to SQL wizard and then using the Database -> Database SQL Connections -> Connections Manager -> Add to create my database.

Is there a reason why the Add a Connection dialog is different when the route to it comes from is the Convert to SQL wizard?

John Tuohy
8-Jan-2017, 05:10 PM
We can look into that. I can't remember if there is a good reason for that or not. Also, unless we got your credit card number out of this, we didn't "snooker" you.

-John

Clive Richmond
9-Jan-2017, 03:28 AM
Oops! I’m sorry. I didn’t realise there was a different meaning. Thanks for pointing it out.

John Tuohy
10-Jan-2017, 01:03 PM
No problem, just send us your credit card number and all is forgiven.

-John

Clive Richmond
11-Jan-2017, 10:58 AM
No worries. I’ll organise a carrier pigeon. ;)

matthewd
11-Jan-2017, 12:35 PM
There's an RFC for that: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2549

Dennis Piccioni
11-Jan-2017, 01:39 PM
:)

Bob Worsley
11-Jan-2017, 01:58 PM
;)

Garret Mott
11-Jan-2017, 03:33 PM
Excellent!

Clive Richmond
12-Jan-2017, 04:21 AM
Awesome! Looks like I have my work cut out with the adaptation for IPv6 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6214) :D

Clive Richmond
25-Feb-2017, 01:32 AM
For something different I decided to convert the Contact Management example to SQL. I am still prevented from creating a database from the 'Add a Connection' wizard.

I take it this this still being looked at or there is a reason why it can't be done from here.

(DataFlex 19.0a2)

Stephen W. Meeley
25-Feb-2017, 08:55 AM
Hi Clive,

EDIT: Ah, you started from Convert and used Add a Connection there - I hadn't paid enough attention to the context. There is no "Create DataBase" button when you start with Convert. I just always create the connections from the Dashboard so I keep forgetting about that.

This worked fine for me. Here are the steps I took (I used Wines):

Open Wines
From Dashboard, select Manage Server/DataBase Connections
In Connections Manager, select Add...
In Add a Connection, Connection ID Wines, Server Name .\SQLEXPRESS, Use Windows Authentication (I did a quick test and it passed)
Select Create DataBase, Wines
Wines was now in the list of databases to connect to and I opened SSMS and it was there (no tables yet)

Were you doing something differently?

Clive Richmond
25-Feb-2017, 11:27 AM
Hi Stephen,

EDIT: Ah, you started from Convert and used Add a Connection there - I hadn't paid enough attention to the context. There is no "Create DataBase" button when you start with Convert. I just always create the connections from the Dashboard so I keep forgetting about that.

Correct. Having to remember to create the database first before converting has never been particularly intuitive. However, with the introduction of managed connections you have just made this task a little more annoying.

In legacy mode, you realise very early on i.e. the next page that the database needs to be created so it’s one click to cancel.

Using managed connections and the same situation I now find I have three clicks to backtrack and cancel.

From what I can tell there are two separate versions of the connection manager being used. One incorporated into the Studio which is a full version – prompt button to select a server and the Create Database button – and another version in the Database Builder.

If the Database Builder is restricted because of security concerns, which is a good thing, then I think it should only do so if dbAdminMode is something other than DDB or the restriction overridden because the process was run from the Studio.

BTW when I was playing with this just now (Convert to SQL…) I managed to create a connection id with no server and no database. In legacy mode, a similar issue and all I had to do was check Use Windows Authentication.

(DataFlex 19.0a2)

Clive Richmond
2-Apr-2017, 10:35 PM
When using this wizard to convert the Order Entry sample I wanted to use a managed connection. On the Database Selection page I selected “Managed Connections”. From the Connection Manager I selected “Add”. This prevented me from continuing any further as there was no option to search for a SQL server or create a database.

I am happy to report that the workflow here works much better.

(DataFlex 19.0b2)