PDA

View Full Version : New Theme in Studio

Frank Cheng
6-Jan-2017, 12:03 PM
Let me just preface this post by saying that I don't have the best eyesight.

The top part of the image was taken from Studio 18.2
The bottom part of the image was taken from Studio 19.0

It's more difficult to me to see what is selected at the tab row.

Frank Cheng

Chris Spencer
6-Jan-2017, 04:09 PM
I agree, I said in other post I do not like the no demarcation but the open files at least are blue for the current tab.

http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?60095-Tabbed-Open-files

Could this be done here also?

John van Houten
6-Jan-2017, 08:27 PM
Whenever we upgrade to a new theme in the Studio there are always some winners and some losers regardless of which theme we choose. We were obliged to move the Studio to one of the new "flat" themes because of the choice to move to all-flat icons.

Frank, if your eyesight is not so good (neither is mine) then I would suggest running your computer with a high resolution screen at 125% DPI or more. In 125% DPI the Studio Panel TABS that you show are larger and so are the icons displayed within them. This may help.

regards John van Houten
Data Access Corporation

wila
7-Jan-2017, 06:51 AM
Nope, not the solution in my case, buying a bigger monitor doesn't help either (already have the biggest one I can comfortably use)
It is very difficult to see the selected tab.
--
Wil

John van Houten
9-Jan-2017, 03:45 AM
This might be something that we need to live with for a while. I tried all of the flat themes and the tool panel tabs are shaded identically, so it would not help even if we made these configurable. It is possible that future Commandbar themes will improve this in which case we can make that a configuration option or just switch to the later theme, however experience tells me that there is always something unpopular in every theme.

Personally I can see the selected tab well on my monitor, the contrast is reasonable (though not as strong as previously).

But really it is also pretty clear which tool panel is selected even if you are having trouble with the contrast in the tabs. The title bar (in the above example) tells you that the Output Panel is currently selected and the content being displayed also makes this very clear.

regards John van Houten
Data Access Corporation

wila
9-Jan-2017, 09:53 AM
Hi John,

Pity, I also looked at the themes that are in the bin folder and it seems they are all .dll resources.
AFAIK you can't edit that with the skinbuilder that comes with codejock, otherwise it would probably not be too hard to create a skin with a slightly colored tab.

An alternative way to make it more clear would be to use bolding of the text or a highlighted icon.
--
Wil

Vincent Oorsprong
10-Jan-2017, 06:49 AM
Will,

You can edit these resource 'DLLs" with a tool called Resource Hacker (http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/). I don't like the word 'Hacker' but it is what it is and also "advised" by CodeJock.

chuckatkinson
10-Jan-2017, 07:28 PM
Didn't CodeJock provide a theme editor tool in the past. I seem to remember you could actually even create your own theme using their tool.

Stephen W. Meeley
10-Jan-2017, 07:32 PM
Chuck,

I think that was the old skins (that used the .msstyles or .cjstyles files).

Anders Ohrt
11-Jan-2017, 02:25 AM
Stephen,

We used Skin Builder to create a "cjstyles" skin, but when migrating to 18.2 things started breaking. From what I've read, it looks like Code Jock just wants you to use their DLLs and not custom styles. Is there a migration path for this, or do we need to build a DLL using something like Resource Hacker from scratch?

We hacked around this by using the 16.3.1 version of the skin framework and not the one included with 18.2 (16.4.0).

Ps. Code Jock's support sucks. Even though we have a paid support plan, all our questions goes unanswered.

Stephen W. Meeley
11-Jan-2017, 10:18 AM
Anders,

I don't know of any migration path from skins to DLL themes (but I'm not a CJ expert). Have you tried their developer forums to see if there are known issues with 16.4 skins? Also, did the skin behavior for our custom skin change at all using the 17.2 skin control in 19.0?

Anders Ohrt
12-Jan-2017, 03:57 AM
Stephen,

Have you tried their developer forums to see if there are known issues with 16.4 skins?

I looked at all relevant threads and found nothing. I thing using a custom designed skin is very unusual, more people only want one of the pre-packaged skins, like the office ones.

I don't remember if I posted anything there, I think I didn't bother since Code Jock does not appear to answer to questions in the forums either... =(

Also, did the skin behavior for our custom skin change at all using the 17.2 skin control in 19.0?

YES! I just checked and in 19.0 it works just like in 18.1 again. Awesome! But weird... I guess it might be a bug in 16.4, fixed in 17.2. But, I did read all the change notes and found nothing in there.

Stephen W. Meeley
12-Jan-2017, 05:45 AM
Glad to hear it works. Of course, now that we've figured this out if we update 19.0 to 17.3 it'll probably break again :cool:

[just kidding]

[I hope]

Mike Cooper
7-Nov-2017, 04:29 AM
I'm very late to this party, but just finally got around to working with 19.0. Can barely stand the look... Considering moving this project back to 18.2 just so that I don't go blind looking at all of the grey on white icons and white on white flat tabs.

Is it possible to change the display in the studio?

Sture
7-Nov-2017, 06:23 AM
I can assure you that it's better to stay with 19. The "19.0 theme" handles all the ridiculous resolutions you have now adays and more.

-Sture

Stephen W. Meeley
7-Nov-2017, 06:50 AM
Mike,

I think you'll find the new Studio UX is an acquired taste. After you've worked with it (and especially on high DPI monitors running at other than 100%) a while it'll become more natural.

Mike Cooper
7-Nov-2017, 01:00 PM
Thanks Sture and Stephen.

You're right, I've been working on it for a few hours now and I think I am getting used to it.

Sture
7-Nov-2017, 01:44 PM
:)

Raphael Theiler
9-Nov-2017, 05:52 AM
Try working with 17.1 on a 13 inch screen with 4K resolution... and then compare it to 19.0. There is nothing to get used to and no taste to acquire. 19.0 is readable, you can actually see the icons, read the text, etc. Everything looks smooth, etc.

To anyone who's using high DPI displays: Consider changing the default font of the code editor, especially in 17.1.
I can recommend "DejaVu Sans Mono" or "Hack" (Don't worry about the name ;)). They scale pretty good and look a bit sharper than the default.

https://dejavu-fonts.github.io/
https://github.com/source-foundry/Hack

Raphael Theiler
9-Nov-2017, 05:59 AM
Compare the screenshots and you will see: 11441