PDA

View Full Version : AWS Aurora RDS

Jim Mulenos
23-Dec-2016, 04:34 PM
As Amazon RDS in the Aurora "flavor" is promoted as fully SQL-compatible we'd like to migrate our Pervasive back-end to that instead of Sequel or mySQL. Can we use one of the DAW-supplied or third party (Mertech?) connectivity kits to connect our classic (non-web) VDF 17.1/18/2 client apps front-end to Aurora in the back?

chuckatkinson
24-Dec-2016, 01:11 PM
I haven't done it but I would expect the ODBC driver to work. I think Aurora is the AWS special version of MySQL.

Ianv
28-Dec-2016, 07:29 PM
Jim,
If your only reason for changing from Pervasive to an SQL server is because you are moving to the cloud, I can assure you that Pervasive runs well on AWS. About 2 months ago we moved all our data and systems, including the PSQL V11 server and it all works fine.
Ian

Mark Powers
6-Aug-2018, 12:08 PM
Ian - I know this was near 2 years ago. But could you give more details on running PSQL in the cloud? How it was configured? How did you configure the client computers?

I went to an AWS summit last week and am currently drinking the cool aid! We are currently running PSQL, looking at other options, but want to at least see what our current PSQL would do.
Thanks
Mark

Jim Mulenos
8-Aug-2018, 11:45 AM
Mark, we have been testing Pervasive 11.3 on AWS ever since and we are making our full-on move on August 20th. It works. As is, same as local. The only difference is establishing the type and size of the server instance. Ask directly after that date and we can talk about anything that comes up. And, we are on the way to Aurora thereafter.

Mark Powers
8-Aug-2018, 02:40 PM
Hey Jim - Thanks for the reply. Are using the DAW ODBC driver for Aurora? Aurora is the Amazon "mysql" look alike isn't it?
Thanks
Mark

Jim Mulenos
9-Aug-2018, 01:15 PM
Yes Mark, that is correct: Using VDF19 and the latest DAW ODBC driver we can read/write cloud AWS Aurora data without a hitch, from our local VDF applications.

Right now (today!) we are attempting to go further: VDF19 on the front, AWS Aurora on the back, and the Mertech mySQL driver in place of ODBC. Mertech states they do not support this however AWS Aurora purports to be "fully mySQL 5.7 compatible". ODBC works and we believe a native mySQL driver would work way better, if it works at all. Stay tuned, don't hesitate to email me offline as I'm not always present on this forum.

Mark Powers
9-Aug-2018, 04:19 PM
Sounds great Jim - keep us updated?
Mark