PDA

View Full Version : Mobile issue with special characters

Jeff Kimmel
4-Oct-2016, 05:12 PM
All,

On our DAI reports on mobile devices the ' symbol is displaying as the encoded '&pos;'. Is there a workaround or an update for this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Bob Cergol
5-Oct-2016, 08:41 AM
Jeff,

What version are you using?

Bob

Jeff Kimmel
5-Oct-2016, 09:35 AM
Bob,

Jeff

Bob Cergol
5-Oct-2016, 04:07 PM
Jeff,

I suggest you update your build before either of us do any additional troubleshooting. Current build is 6.5.12 and specifically it looks like build 6.5.7 may have addressed the issue. Among other fixes and changes, these look significant:

Unicode issue with currency symbols on gauge
Implementing use of PhantomJS PDF (PDF support)
Disable chart context export menu (using HC servers)
HighStock updated to version 2.1.5
SQL partial selection in Dynamic AI View Source cross-browser
Using white-space and css width for wrapping detail text to be Firefox and Chrome compatible

Perhaps the change having to do with unicode will fix your issue. The addition of a built-in PDF engine for PDF output to browser or as file or file attachment to email is useful. Highcharts was updated and various browser issues that those moving targets present have been fixed as well.

Click Download Dynamic AI (http://www.dataaccess.com/GetDynamicAI) to obtain the latest installation program.

Bob

Jeff Kimmel
5-Oct-2016, 04:41 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the reply but I'm still seeing the same result. I'm displaying the report in an iframe and setting the url in a Web App. Not sure if that makes a difference though. Do you see something similar in your report or is it just me?

Thanks,

jeff

Bob Cergol
6-Oct-2016, 08:46 AM
Jeff,

I'm digging into this but wonder if you are using Safari on an Apple device or if this is an Android device.

Bob

Jeff Kimmel
6-Oct-2016, 08:57 AM
Bob,

It's an apple device, i-phone to be exact. I also tested it on my kindle and have the same response. I've tried multiple browsers (safari & chrome on i-phone and the default browser and chrome on my kindle) and I get the same results. I can send you the url of the report via private email if you like.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bob Cergol
6-Oct-2016, 09:24 AM
Jeff,

If you access the report example shown below from the embedded reports webapp example does the apostrophe for Rita O'Donaldson display okay on your iPhone and/or Kindle? (Kindle Silk works like any desktop browser so is not a webkit browser like Safari AFAIK.)

http://www.dataaccess.com/LiveDynamicAI

If it does, then try creating a text formula column for the report to replace the table.column now used, and insert this string at the beginning: '<i></i>'

Let me know if that works. If not I'll see if Cintac has any advice.

Bob

Jeff Kimmel
6-Oct-2016, 10:02 AM
Bob,

Thanks, that works, although it's a bit messy. It seemed to worked well so instead of putting it in the report I just modified my SQL query. I have several text fields where the user can enter in any text so sizes like 2" and 578's are pretty common. When displaying the fields it worked but in reports that have groupings I use the 'Row Caption' option and that displays the <i></i>. So I now need to change all my string database fields to have the <i></i>. Also, now the export to csv will have that in the field. Do you think Cintac might have another option?

Thanks,

Jeff

Bob Cergol
6-Oct-2016, 10:34 AM
Glad it worked. Yeah its messy.... I don't recall the technical details but it goes back to chasing the variations among browsers and how they interpreted things. Apple always thinks they have a better way .... I think it was a "quick fix" hack that piggy-backed onto some existing DAI logic to render HTML and character sets differently for IOS devices. It will get fixed but I cannot give you a date. The first tag is the trigger condition, the 2nd tag is just to turn off the italics unless you don't mind them in that single cell.

Maybe its an option to make a separate report for delivering CSV output. In my experience I often found the drill-down paths and other formatting I wanted in the report was not what I wanted when the requirement was to just deliver raw data for import to some other application.

Bob

Bob Cergol
6-Oct-2016, 10:52 AM
Putting those tags in your SQL on all text columns seems extreme to me and overkill. I think it belongs in the report design -- unless you SQL view is single-purpose or limited to just a few reports. You could use the formula field for the grouper value, but not in the detail columns -- assuming the CSV is being output at the detail level.

I worked in the printing industry for years so the double quote for inches was used everywhere. Long before I ever used Dynamic AI, whenever I had to export data to CSV I was dealing with those quotes -- and had to either escape them with additional quotes or replace them with "in" -- which is still just two characters, and only slightly wider.

Bob

Jeff Kimmel
6-Oct-2016, 02:02 PM
Bob,

The issue is I have a bunch of reports - over 50 - so I wanted to put the change in one place and have it just work. The problem with the groups has shown this to not really be effective as sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. If it was just inches and feet I would just change it like you suggested but as in looking at the data I have it's a lot of apostrophes so I really can't do that...Oh well, I'll just grind it out over the weekend to get each report on at a time...

Any time frame on the next release?

Thanks,

Jeff

Bob Cergol
6-Oct-2016, 02:09 PM
You can define so called global SQL columns at the dictionary level. The formula is then inherited by every report using the data source having this formula in its dictionary. I tend to clone reports and modify them though so rarely am recreating the same formula over and over in report design.

There's a good chance a beta will be released at Scanduc later this year. No promises though....

Bob

Bob Cergol
6-Oct-2016, 03:32 PM
Jeff, maybe you can do something with javascript. I'm not sure if the output is in UTF8 before or after the rule script would execute. You know about that stuff than I.
Bob

Jeff Kimmel
7-Oct-2016, 09:26 AM
Bob,

i had had thought of that but I my thought was cycling though the elements and changing the output. Are you suggesting changing the content type? I'll have to dig into that.

thanks,

jeff

Bob Cergol
7-Oct-2016, 11:46 AM
No, not specifically. I'm saying there might be some way to use a rule script to manipulate output to workaround the problem.

I'm told that iPad/iPhone browser always return everything in UTF8, whereas desktop browsers character set is ISO-85 or used to anyway.

It may be a clue for you. All I know is that version 7 will be entirely unicode, and HTML5 and this issue you're having will go away. It does not seem to have been a widespread problem. In five years I've only heard two complaints on this -- and there are a lot of deployments using languages with many special characters.

In my case, since I like to embed html formatting tags in groupers, I needed to use the "<i>" tag as a flag to trigger some rendering logic that would respect those flags and render them correctly on webkit browsers, otherwise the tags displayed as data.

Bob

Jeff Kimmel
7-Oct-2016, 05:17 PM
Bob,

I see thanks. I'm surprised because it's doing the 'apos' thing on all mobile devices not just the i-world and not just groupers, it's in all the grids. I'm guessing there might not be much usage in the mobile space, possibly...

Thanks,

Jeff