PDA

View Full Version : DataFlex Diagnostics Feedback

raveens
24-Aug-2016, 04:04 PM
HI DAW,

Very cool/useful tool !! With the ability to email the generated report too! Nice!

Test on:

Windows 8.1 32-Bit

Just some feedback:

Getting a lot of "WMI Failure" statuses in the test/generated report - could be because WMI Diagnostics are no longer supported starting with Window 8 and Windows Server 2012 (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394603(v=vs.85).aspx)
All System DSNs (under Data Sources) are categorized as 64-bit (but I'm running a 32-bit machine)
There is a "Red-Something is Wrong" status next to the "IIS-Enable 32-bit Application" - this should be "N/A" as its a 32-bit machine
There is a "Red-Something is Wrong" status next to all the IIS application pools because "Enable 32-bit Application" is not enabled - this should be "N/A" as its a 32-bit machine

All in all - nice tool !

Marcia Booth
24-Aug-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Raveen.

If the WMI service is disabled on your machine, that will generate the failure you describe in 1.

We will look at the 32/64 bit differences. Thanks!

Pascal Ried
14-Sep-2016, 02:41 AM
Thank you for the new way to check for DataFlex specific settings needed.

I have the same problem with a lot of WMI Failure red lamps (using Windows 10 x64).
But I also have the "32-Bit Application Enabled" red lamp for my used application pool, though I am sure it is active.

Would it be optimal (goal) to have all the lights green? Or is that even possible?
What can I give you to support the development? Is there a log to send you?

Is there boundled documentation on red/yellow lights?

Marcia Booth
14-Sep-2016, 07:49 AM
We are looking into the WMI issue. Thanks.

If you click on the "32-Bit Application Enabled" item, you should see more information about the issue. Does the user logged in and running the report have access to that setting?

Yes, the goal is to have all green (or maybe a mix of green and yellow) flags. Red flags indicate that something is wrong and should be reviewed/adjusted in the environment being checked.

The documentation is in the report itself. When you click on report items, a message box should display more information about the item you clicked on. That will show what has been checked and what information you are looking at. This is a work in progress; we are still filling in details for each report item.

In regards to your question about a log, the report itself will show what is being detected on your machine. That's a good start to check whether an issue is correctly being reported or not. To send a report, simply attach the XML file generated to your post. We will be able to see your report and review the issues that should be addressed.

Nils G. Svedmyr
14-Sep-2016, 08:40 AM
Hi Marcia,

Nice tool!

Can I ask that you - for the next revision - consider changing the red/green/yellow indicators to some other icons/bitmaps? The reason being that you exclude about one tenth of all men to use the tool, because that is how many men that on average is color "blind" or having problems with distinguishing especially red/green.

But perhaps that was the idea all along to make it harder for us men? :cool:

It usually work fine with colors for me but really tiny indicators like the ones used in the wizard just doesn't cut it for me, so I would really appreciate if it could be improved somehow.

TIA!

Stephen W. Meeley
14-Sep-2016, 10:16 AM
Color blindness is an interesting aspect.

Perhaps icons like checkmark (good), question mark (speaks for itself) and an X (bad)? They can still be colored green, yellow and red but the color isn't the only "property" that represents state.

Nils G. Svedmyr
14-Sep-2016, 10:18 AM
Hi Stephen,

Yes, that would work nicely with different icons like checkmark and "x". Thanks for listening.

Marcia Booth
14-Sep-2016, 10:26 AM
Point taken. We can definitely consider this change. Thanks!

But perhaps that was the idea all along to make it harder for us men? :cool:

And I thought my plan was perfectly undetectable...:rolleyes:

Focus
14-Sep-2016, 10:37 AM
"for those of you watching in black and white the pink is behind the green" - Ted Lowe

Garret Mott
14-Sep-2016, 11:05 AM
:p

DaveR
22-Sep-2016, 11:12 AM
"for those of you watching in black and white the pink is behind the green" - Ted Lowe

remember it well.

Marco
23-Sep-2016, 04:25 AM
We have used traffic lights in some reports. Even if you can't see the colors, it's pretty obvious.

Focus
23-Sep-2016, 05:02 AM
That's why we have a specific position and sequence in the UK so you can tell even if you can't see in colour if you should stop or go !

Nils G. Svedmyr
23-Sep-2016, 06:37 AM
Yup, that would work for me as I do drive my car and usually it works just fine...:)

Garret Mott
23-Sep-2016, 07:42 AM
New York City has mostly horizontal stoplights. I have a friend who is red/green colorblind & has always based his stop/go decision on which light is brightest. When he got into the city & was confronted with the horizontal ones, he (until he learned the pattern) was dependent on taxis honking at him to know when it was time to go. At least one can always depend on NYC taxi drivers being willing to honk... ;)

Joe Coley
11-May-2017, 07:53 PM
Thank you for bringing attention to this issue. As one of those red/green color blind men I often find myself having to struggle. However, a less noticed color-blind issue is red/black - which is my most difficult to distinguish. Design for the color-blind I believe has not really gotten much attention overall.

Evertjan Dondergoor
12-May-2017, 06:56 AM
We try to do it though. Everytime a customer wants me to use colors as an indication, I tell them that 5-10% of the people will not be able to see the difference. I'm assuming the big companies like Microsoft and Apple are also aware of it. I've also seen in the gaming industry, where after complaints, they make adjustments to the colors, or built in special options for the colorblind.

Roman Köhler
17-Feb-2023, 02:07 AM
Hi.
I've tried to run the diagnostics tool, but it failed, because our source codes are placed in a mapped network drive, which i can't select.
So no diagnostics are possible.

Greetings
Roman

danwalsh46
18-Feb-2023, 10:24 AM
Ha! Come visit us in Oaxaca, when the light turns green, half the city honks.

Marcia Booth
20-Feb-2023, 02:31 PM
Hi Roman,

If your Windows workspaces are on a mapped drive, you should be able to select the drive/directory when checking "DataFlex Windows Applications on your system" and pressing Next.

If that is not what you mean, can you share some more detail about your environment so I can better understand what you are reporting?