PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist for 19.0

velpenf
26-Feb-2016, 02:16 AM
Hi DA,

Could there be a configurable option to use 'larger' top icons in de DF-tools (studio, builder, explorer). (unless there already is and I didn't find them)

Rgds, Frank

Clive Richmond
26-Feb-2016, 09:43 AM
Hi Frank,

Could there be a configurable option to use 'larger' top icons in de DF-tools (studio, builder, explorer). (unless there already is and I didn't find them)

I believe this is something DAW will be looking into (http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?58068-Suggestion-Toolbar-Icons).

Raphael Theiler
26-Feb-2016, 10:30 AM
Have you tried 18.2 ? There was an issue with high DPI, etc which was apparently solved in 18.2

Ola Eldoy
27-Feb-2016, 05:45 AM
My #1 wish is still refactoring (http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?54929-YAFR-Refactoring&p=285900#post285900) support in the Studio.

Peter van Mil
27-Feb-2016, 06:56 AM
On the top of my wish list is support for Unicode (http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?48628-Unicode-support&highlight=unicode) or at least ANSI.

(For the support of the € sign and East European names ANSI support would be sufficient, but a real solutions would be Unicode support).

Ladislau
27-Feb-2016, 07:26 AM
There is possibility to display a view or dialog through a preview generated by DR (Dataflex Report) in the Detail section by key field. Facilitating analysis by the user without losing focus on the preview of the report.

Rgds, Ladislau

Samuel Pizarro
27-Feb-2016, 12:39 PM
UNICODE, yes, please!

I am starting a new Web project that I need to handle several languages like, English, Portuguese-Br, Spanish, Russian, for start, and will expand to other pretty soon.

Regards

seanyboy
28-Feb-2016, 06:18 AM
List of things I'd like to see:

Request Headers Exposed to cWebApp for JSON calls & Some time spent on making cWebService more restful.
(I've just posted about this, but I would still like to be able to make server side WebApps with dataflex, and this is one way of providing this.

Ability to set long-running Batch Processes off in a separate process
There's still no good way of setting off and monitoring a batch run that can take hours.

Console Mode Switch for console mode apps.
I already did this, so I'm not as bothered by it as I was, but showln is sometimes not good enough. I want to run an app from the console and have the output appear in my console.
http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?57796-Console-Mode-Compiler-for-Visual-Dataflex

Developer Controlled Package Library.
We're a small community, but sometimes we don't share enough code. A package library like NuGet or RubyGems can help with that.

"Web Application Licensing" to be based on unique "webapp.exe's" and not Applications defined in web application administrator.
So - I have a customer that has multiple tenants, and registers a new webapp for each of those tenants. It's a relatively easy way to ensure there's no state leaking in the application between different tenants, and I'd like to continue using it.

Ola Eldoy
29-Feb-2016, 08:15 AM
Developer Controlled Package Library.
We're a small community, but sometimes we don't share enough code. A package library like NuGet or RubyGems can help with that.

That's a brilliant idea, Sean!

It doesn't have to be that much work, either. The package manager can be implemented so that it can download the latest release of a given library from its online repository (such as GitHub, BitBucket, or similar).
Granted, there are a number of issues that need to be straightened out, but nothing too difficult that I can think of. For example, we need to resolve the naming of release branches and library workspace files (e.g. which version of DataFlex to use).

It would be wonderful to have this integrated into the studio. But as this is a feature by the community, for the community, we probably need to get the ball rolling ourselves. I will definitely keep this in mind as I intend to update the VdfUnit library, and to release the upcoming FitNesse library.

raveens
3-Mar-2016, 04:44 PM
Ability to set long-running Batch Processes off in a separate process
There's still no good way of setting off and monitoring a batch run that can take hours.

Definitely a requirement for WebApps going forward!

raveens
3-Mar-2016, 05:08 PM
Also like to see some improvements in the webapp controls

such as:

Priority 1
Better browser navigation control: http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/classic/history/history.html
(http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#grid-filtering)Better Grid features (column reorder, field chooser, filters) : http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#grid-filtering
Open view in New Tab/Window : Able to right-click a cWebMenuItem and have a context menu to "Open in New Tab/Window" - eliminates the need for a multi-window framework -OR- able to either Shift/Ctrl-Click a menu item with the same outcome.

Priority 2
Scheduler/Calendar : http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/classic/calendar/index.html
Grid Freeze Column : http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#locking-grid
Grid Grouped Header : http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#grouped-header-grid
Grid TreeView : http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#tree-grid
Split Buttons : http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#split-buttons
Swipe-able WebCards (just provide the OnServerSwipeLeft/Right events) Or option to hover/display the card index buttons.

Priority 3
Collapsible Panel Borders : http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#layout-border
(http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#outline-pivot-grid)Pivot Grid : http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#outline-pivot-grid

(http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.1/examples/kitchensink/#outline-pivot-grid)

ivansc
4-Mar-2016, 12:32 PM
Open view in New Tab/Window : Able to right-click a cWebMenuItem and have a context menu to "Open in New Tab/Window" - eliminates the need for a multi-window framework -OR- able to either Shift/Ctrl-Click a menu item with the same outcome.
something like this?

regards
Ivan

raveens
4-Mar-2016, 03:34 PM
Yes!

ivansc
8-Mar-2016, 12:23 AM
Yes!
I use WebContextMenu.js and pkg in several options.
Here you have the use for menu items.
This version had to change a lot from the original (2 years ago),
because the df web framework menu items has been completely rebuilt since the original version.

To do:
in WebApp.src (sample from weborder attached)

Use cWebContextMenuItemLoadView.pkg
Object oWebApp is a cWebApp
Procedure onload
Send ClientAction "Get_arguments" // llama a Get_arguments
End_Procedure

WebPublishProcedure Get_arguments
Procedure Get_arguments String sname
Handle hobj
If (sname>"") Begin
Get WebObjectByName sname to hobj
If hobj Send Show of hobj
End
End_Procedure
Object oBottomPanel is a cWebPanel
Set peRegion to prBottom

//this is the context menu. It must be inside a panel (framework request)
Object oViewMenuItemContext is a cWebContextMenuItemLoadView
Set psNewTab "Run in new tab"
Set psNewWin "Run in new window"
Procedure setobjs
String[] sObjects
Move "oCommandbar.oMenuBar" to sObjects[0] //name of the cWebMenuBar that you wish to affect, then:
Move "1.0,oCustomer" to sObjects[1] //"option number", "view to load"
Move "1.1,oOrder" to sObjects[2] //that you wish to give the window/tab selection option
Move "1.2,oInventory" to sObjects[3] //option numbering is '0' base, which means in WebOrder:
Move "1.3,oVendor" to sObjects[4] // 0.0 = oFileMenu - oClearMenuItem
Move "1.4,oSalesPerson" to sObjects[5] // 1.0 = oViewMenu - oCustomerMaintenanceMenuItem
Set psObjects to sObjects // 2.0 = oReportMenu - oCustomerListMenuItem
End_Procedure
End_Object
End_Object
End_Object

Send StartWebApp of oWebApp

in index.html (sample from weborder attached)

<!-- DataFlex Custom Controls (do not remove this line, used for automatic insertion) -->
<link href="Custom/WebContextMenu.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<script src="Custom/WebContextMenu.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

files in Apphtml\Custom directory

WebContextMenu.js
WebContextMenu.css

files in Apphtml\Images directory

link.png
// next not use in this case
checkboxNok.png
checkboxOk.png
checkboxNokDis.png
checkboxOkDis.png

files in AppSrc or in your library

cWebContextMenu.pkg
cWebContextMenuItemLoadView.pkg
// next not use in this case
cWebContextHeaderGrid.pkg

as usual, clean your browser cache.
best regards
Ivan Schoof

Raphael Theiler
8-Mar-2016, 03:28 AM
Thanks for sharing. I'll give it a try :-)
Some sort of context menu should be added to the standard components.
Does it work on mobile devices? (with a long-press?)

seanyboy
8-Mar-2016, 04:59 AM
+1 for "Better browser navigation control"

raveens
8-Mar-2016, 03:35 PM
Hi Ivan,

Thanks for sharing!

raveens
8-Mar-2016, 03:36 PM
Yes! Context menus should be added to the standard components - at least to menuitems!

Raphael Theiler
9-Mar-2016, 03:11 AM
I would apreciate them in tree views as well.

Samuel Pizarro
9-Mar-2016, 07:20 AM
One thing that I would love to see is a better selective column fetching at
global record buffer level ;
data dictionary level ;
and sone objects level like lists and grids

selecting the entire table ( all columns) with dozens/hundreds of columns just to show some 5 or 6 in a selection list is a huge overkill!

regards

raveens
9-Mar-2016, 02:56 PM
+1

Raphael Theiler
10-Mar-2016, 02:58 AM
Another suggestion: We can specify the column-span and index. And we can define the "label offset" for labels. Would it be possible to define the "label offset" in columns instead of pixels (or maybe choose to specify it either as pixels or as number of columns)? It makes creating nice layouts much harder if your labels have a fixed width, but the columns keep changing.

raveens
14-Mar-2016, 10:51 PM
Hi,

Another enhancement for the studio - would be better use of META tags

Currently the meta-tag Description is only valid for published Web Services - it would be nice to have it work for all procedures and functions!
AND, have the studio display it when the developer hovers the mouse over the routine name in the code explorer.

Example would be something like:

{Description="recalculates order balances and updates product table"}
Procedure RecalcOrder
End_Procedure

Ladislau
15-Mar-2016, 07:11 AM
Hi,

Other improvements to the studio - it would be better use of procedures and functions
with declarations of local variables suggestive popups through menus with possible types of declarations of variables.

When the developer set in the procedure before the instructions
declare the following variables, the studio verify the existence of the declared variable, the case is not declared would be requested through the floating menu your choice.

Example would be something like

procedure Update
Forward Send Update
// -> Variable declared by the choice of the floating menu
Number nTotal
Number nValor_discount
Boolean bok

// -> 1.Passo writing instruction of calculation without the declaration of variable nTotal
Move (OrderDtl.Qty_Ordered * OrderDtl.Price) to nTotal
// -> Step 2. Studio check within the procedure if there is a declaration of the variable nTotal, if not declared, appears the options menu types of statements to be chosen,
Move (nTotal * .10) to nValor_Discount // Menu statements Variables
Move (nValor_Discount> 10) to BOK // Menu statements of variables

End_Procedure

Regards,
Ladislau Silva

Selsoft Systems
www.selsoft.com.br

Fred
15-Mar-2016, 12:31 PM
I agree to say full ANSI-support is a minimum "must" nowadays in Windows applications...

Regards,

Fred THOMAS
Eicher B.C. (Belgium)

Marco
15-Mar-2016, 04:09 PM
I find myself regularly doing lefts and rights and pod and mids.
Often from xml, or when writing tests.
Anyway, my request is to show in the studio status bar the number of characters selected. So no more counting the right arrow button... For an example of what I mean, see notepad++

Fred
18-Mar-2016, 08:47 AM
What would be great in the Studio "Find in files" is another possibility to click to search on 2 (or more) keywords (=like a Google search) :

For example, we have now the problem after migration from DataFlex Embedded database to MS-SQL that some constrains no more functions because of CASE and sort on other side : lowercase than uppercase in reverse order than in DataFlex files...

So I wished to "find in files" on the 2 keywords CONSTRAIN + LOWERCASE to find out this kind of commands :
CONSTRAIN FILE.FIELD LE (LOWERCASE(sChar))
CONSTRAIN FILE as (FILE.FIELD LE (LOWERCASE(sChar)))
CONSTRAIN FILE as (.... and FILE.FIELD LE (LOWERCASE(sChar)))

Because when I search only on CONSTRAIN or LOWERCASE I have thousand results... and it surely be only a few to find out !

It's just an example of the need searching 2 keywords on a commandline but I often had this need in the past with other things to search out in all the source files...

Thanks and regards,

Fred THOMAS
Eicher B.C. (Belgium)

DaveR
18-Mar-2016, 10:44 AM
+1 yeah, thus gets me regularly

Michael Mullan
18-Mar-2016, 11:19 AM
Perhaps REGEX in FindInFiles might work.

MM.

franco
11-Apr-2016, 07:07 PM
My top wish list should to have an cHtmlEdit class with basic functions like at least the editor of this forum.

Regards
Franco Spinella

Focus
12-Apr-2016, 06:01 AM
Yes I think this would be a valuable component too

starzen
12-Apr-2016, 06:32 AM
We use CKEditor and simply wrapped it as a non database aware as well as database aware class

Focus
12-Apr-2016, 07:18 AM
Yes I have seen posts for this and the TinyMCE

Though I think there is still a case for a DAW supported HTML editor in the core product in terms of long term support in the same way they have taken CodeJock under their wing.

raveens
12-Apr-2016, 03:12 PM
It would be a good component but only if it supports HTML-to-RTF and RTF-to-HTML, and needs to stores data as RTF else it would not be really usable as a database component.

Why?
1. The WinApps only supports RTF (Rich Text Format) - so if you have a WinApp too then unless the data is stored as RTF - its unusable.
2. Even if you only use WEBAPPs, reporting will be a problem - dataflex reports and, if I'm not mistaken, even crystal only supports RTF.

FrankValcarcel
12-Apr-2016, 03:27 PM
I think ids more important than RTF is PDF. Standard Web output is create pdf and let use print. Fortunately there are lots of HTML to PDF utilities out there to convert a HTML stored data to something that can be printed.

wila
12-Apr-2016, 03:44 PM
It would be a good component but only if it supports HTML-to-RTF and RTF-to-HTML, and needs to stores data as RTF else it would not be really usable as a database component.
The problem with that is that there is no reliable 2 way HTML-to-RTF and RTF-to-HTML, yes it exists for either direction, but that's one way street.
However if you save RTF then edit in HTML and save back to RTF hoping you can edit it later again in HTML bad things are going to happen over time and it will be a huge pain to support.
They are different formats and do not have a 1 on 1 mapping.

2. Even if you only use WEBAPPs, reporting will be a problem - dataflex reports and, if I'm not mistaken, even crystal only supports RTF. Not completely correct..

I hear what you are saying though and I think you are making a good point that you want to be able to access that data from within your Windows apps as well.

--
Wil

DaveR
7-May-2016, 01:56 PM
I asked this when WebApps first appeared maybe I'll re-phrase the question. All my Windows projects are SDI so I have hundreds of projects in each workspace. But on a Web workspace there is only one project.

Can a shortcut to 'New Workspace' be added to the 'File |New" Menu? I see why it's a top-level shortcut from the File menu but for me it belongs on the 'New' submenu too.

franco
13-May-2016, 12:06 PM
Hello Michael
I trying to use it too ( ckeditor) with 18.2 , But I have a big problem. First time I open a view with wrapper class it is showed and I can use and save html text in the database... but the second time I open it doen't work, I can't even close view or open another one until I don't refresh the page F5.... I using Class "cWebHtmlEdit is a cWebHtmlBox" that I saw within another forum post written by ivan... it should be perfect for me if it could be work not only the first time the control is opened.
Have you some suggestion to solve this problem?. I think some java script trick can solve it.

regards
Franco Spinella

Dries Vermont
19-May-2016, 02:27 AM
CodeSense improvements
- Searching on a part of the procedure or object name (not only at the beginning)
- Sometimes it's make more sense to start from the instance (object of a class). And for this object, you'll only want the see the properties and functions related to that object.
If you use an object (from a DF class, or one of your own classes), then it would be nice to see what you can do with it, directly from the CodeSense. Now you'll have to look in the help or in the class code itself.

Dennis Piccioni
19-May-2016, 08:36 AM
Hi Dries,

you can do this now, by using the Object Browser that pops up when you press Ctrl+Space after typing "Set ", "Get ", "Send ", etc. This allows you to pick an object in your project and only lists class members that apply to it.

Read about this in the DataFlex help under Development Tools > Studio > Code Editor > CodeSense > Using CodeSense with the Object Browser.

Dries Vermont
19-May-2016, 10:20 AM
thx Dennis.
Nice. I'll inform my colleagues about that. Don't think anyone knows this.

raveens
20-May-2016, 12:11 AM
CodeSense improvements
- Searching on a part of the procedure or object name (not only at the beginning)

Yes! +1

Should include properties and enum values too!