PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Text Column Size & the Embedded Database

Clive Richmond
16-Feb-2016, 05:17 AM
The help and the DataFlex specification indicates the maximum size for a text column may be 16,384 bytes with the usable size 2 bytes less than the declaration. Sounds good. However I am unable to set the value above 16,208.

Text: Embedded database Text columns permit a maximum size of 16KB. Enter a number between 0 and 16384. If the number entered is not divisible by 16, it will be increased to the next multiple of 16. Other database types may permit different entries.

This initial problem came to light when I tried “convert to embedded” an SQL table containing a text column and the structure copy failed.

I have only tested this in DataFlex 18.2 RC2 so can’t comment if this is new or an existing issue. Also I did notice that binary columns also exhibit a similar problem.

Clive Richmond
16-Feb-2016, 05:39 AM
Ignore this. It's red-herring.

Reading the DataFlex specification more closely it clearly states the Maximum record size is 16,384 bytes. This explains why my change in the Order Entry Customer table is limited to the value displayed. Next time I'll paying more attention to the Studio’s error message and I'd have found my answer quicker. :)

It also explains why I can't convert my SQL table back to DataFlex.