PDA

View Full Version : Workstation Problem

davidlisle
20-Dec-2015, 10:37 AM
Beta 2:

I installed the client and workstation remotely and all went well. However, when they try to run my program from their workstation, they get the error "User count exceeded for this license." They get the same error if they try to run it from their server. The registration program correctly shows the license number, name and code, and the fact that they have a 10-user license.

When I VPN into their server, I am able to run my program without a problem.

Any ideas?

Stephen W. Meeley
20-Dec-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi David,

1. Can you further define "remotely"? The client engine should always be installed logged into the host server (not from a workstation) so I just want to make sure we are both on the same page when we use the term "remotely".

2. When you installed the client, did you make sure to select the "Network Accessible" type of installation?

3. Lastly, when you logged into the server to install the client engine, did your user have administration rights?

4. I lied - this is lastly. Did you run the workstation setup from each user workstation that will access the application?

davidlisle
20-Dec-2015, 12:16 PM
Hi David,

1. Can you further define "remotely"? The client engine should always be installed logged into the host server (not from a workstation) so I just want to make sure we are both on the same page when we use the term "remotely".

2. When you installed the client, did you make sure to select the "Network Accessible" type of installation?

3. Lastly, when you logged into the server to install the client engine, did your user have administration rights?

4. I lied - this is lastly. Did you run the workstation setup from each user workstation that will access the application?

Hi Stephen,

1. I have VPN access to the server, and it gives me admin rights. By "remotely" I mean I used VPN to access their server, copy the xxClient.exe program and install the client.

2. Yes, I made sure I selected "Network Accessible"

3. Yes, I had admin rights. I also ran the registration program, and it accepted the license number, name and code.

4. I only tried to run the workstation setup on one workstation, since it's the only one I have remote access to. The installation said it succeeded but I got the "User count exceeded" error when I tried to run the application.

If I double-click the application name on their server from Florida via VPN, the application runs properly, but if I do the same thing from the workstation, I get the user count error.

Cheers,

David

P.S. Everything worked fine in Demo mode. It was after I registered the license I got the problem. I have just emulated the same situation with a test server and workstation I have at home, and I get the same results - demo mode works fine. After registration I get the user count error.

P.P.S. The C:\Program Data\DataFlex\DataAccessworldwide\18.2\license files folder is empty, but there is a C:\Program Files\DataFlex 18.2\Bin\xxxxx.dfr file which has read/write and execute permissions.

Stephen W. Meeley
20-Dec-2015, 02:04 PM
David,

It's a rights thing. The eval doesn't user count (which is why it works) and since you installed under program files other users don't have enough rights to do the locking where the user count file is. When doing network accessible you really want to do a shared folder outside of program files. Set up the root folder, give all the network users the same drive mapping (or use UNC) to it and install to that location.

davidlisle
20-Dec-2015, 03:49 PM
Stephen,

I did what you said and it works locally! I will try the remote install when they aren't working. How come we are not all out drinking egg-nog?

Thanks and Happy Christmas,

David

Bob Worsley
20-Dec-2015, 05:21 PM
Stephen,
I did what you said and it works locally! I will try the remote install when they aren't working. How come we are not all out drinking egg-nog?
DavidWho says we aren't?

Stephen W. Meeley
23-Dec-2015, 08:41 AM
Hi David,

Just curious - did you get the customer site running ok?