PDA

View Full Version : YAFR re DDClasslist builder

DaveR
4-Dec-2015, 01:40 PM
The few days I've wasted trying to nurse a set of rather out-of-date DDs into the DDClasslist have given me a series of recommendations. As both Stephen and Dennis have repeatedly reminded me, this file is getting more important to the Studio.

1. More meaningful/descriptive messages. "failed to Parse" covers a multitude of sins. Base Class missing? SL missing or non-autonomous? data file missing (this one is covered by an popup eror but should just be a message on the lines of the others)
2. A log, so that when it dies I can identify on which class.
3. Flag classes in the classlist that are not found in the path, and optionally remove them.
4. If a class won't parse, but is in the classlist then it used to parse once, so it deserves an 'existing class doesn't parse' variation.
5. Can the DDClassList.xml please contain a last-updated line time-stamping itself, and include the count of DDs included?
6. If the regenerate adds a class it should automatically rerun itself to see if that changes anything. The 8 classes that failed to parse contained 5 that were related. Through a fluke of the naming chosen, after fixing just one of those classes, two more runs without any more changes allowed the other 4 to parse correctly. Executing alphabetically being the limiting factor.

John van Houten
5-Dec-2015, 05:16 PM
Hi Dave,

I could not find any error message in the Studio source code: "failed to Parse" so I can't really begin to track down what you are seeing or how to improve it. Do you have a screenshot of the message or so that I can see.

Usually when the Studio is Parsing Data Dictionary files it will populate the "Problems" Tab of the DD Modeler with details of where it found DD parsing problems and what the problems are. Did you know about that? You can even double-click each problem in the list to go to the line of code where the problem was detected.

regards John van Houten
Data Access Corporation

DaveR
7-Dec-2015, 12:20 PM
Hi Dave,

I could not find any error message in the Studio source code: "failed to Parse" so I can't really begin to track down what you are seeing or how to improve it. Do you have a screenshot of the message or so that I can see.

Usually when the Studio is Parsing Data Dictionary files it will populate the "Problems" Tab of the DD Modeler with details of where it found DD parsing problems and what the problems are. Did you know about that? You can even double-click each problem in the list to go to the line of code where the problem was detected.

regards John van Houten
Data Access Corporation

Sorry John, full text of the error

Begin add data dictionary classes to DD class list
- The file "D:\DEV0\devkfp\kApps181\DDSrc\WatchesZ.DD" can not be parsed as a data dictionary. This file is skipped
End add data dictionary classes to DD class list. 0 classes added.

... and this may be a stupid question, but what are you referring to as the DD Modeller?

phvwijk
7-Dec-2015, 12:34 PM
John,

O do get this message once in a while. My DD are in good condition. When I close the studio and open it is again there is no problem reading the offending DD. No I am sorry can not reproduce it in a sample.

Peter

John van Houten
7-Dec-2015, 05:09 PM
Dave,

The DD Modeler means the Data Dictionary Modeler window.

This looks like a message that can occur when you are rebuilding the DDClassList.

I'll see what can be improved regarding providing more information when this error is raised.

regards John van Houten

DaveR
7-Dec-2015, 05:27 PM
Dave,

The DD Modeler means the Data Dictionary Modeler window.

This looks like a message that can occur when you are rebuilding the DDClassList.

I'll see what can be improved regarding providing more information when this error is raised.

regards John van Houten

I thought that might be what you meant. You weren't following the thread in the windows forum, but my problems were exacerbated by the rebuilder crashing, thus no messages. Neevr really worked out what caused that but I was able to retire the class (process of elimination, adding 320 classes in small groups). As PvW says, though, sometimes things don't parse, then after a reboot they do.
Thanks for looking at this.
Of all my requests the most useful would be (2) the log file, so the messages could be preserved. Then (3) missing classes could be identified in the log as well. (6) is a WIBNI.

John van Houten
26-Dec-2015, 09:31 PM
Dave,

I have put some effort into presenting better analytical information for each file that fails during the DD Rebuild process. Hopefully this will help you to track down your problem Data Dictionaries more easily and figure out what is going wrong.

regards John van Houten

DaveR
29-Dec-2015, 02:37 PM
Dave,

I have put some effort into presenting better analytical information for each file that fails during the DD Rebuild process. Hopefully this will help you to track down your problem Data Dictionaries more easily and figure out what is going wrong.

regards John van Houten

Thanks John, though having retired those classes for 18.1/18.2 I won't be reactivating that project for a few months.

Bob Worsley
29-Dec-2015, 07:37 PM
Hi John,
Twice in the past few days I've needed to rename a .DD file and both times the Studio whined at me until I manually edited the xml class list and changed the name - rebuilding the class list doesn't do it. Is there any planned support for renaming?

Garret Mott
29-Dec-2015, 09:07 PM
I remove it, rename it, re-add it.

Having spent 2+ hours redoing all default dd's, I will not touch the rebuild classlist option.

Bob Worsley
29-Dec-2015, 09:43 PM
Yeah, that's certainly a way, too many steps. Also, you are in effect modifying or updating the class list.

Garret Mott
29-Dec-2015, 10:18 PM
Yeah, but I'm not using the Rebuild option.