PDA

View Full Version : Mircosoft announces a free new editor for coding cloud and cross platform apps

Focus
29-Apr-2015, 01:34 PM
Microsoft really seems to be starting to run with that ball they picked up about 18 months ago ... good for them ...

http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/29/microsoft-shocks-the-world-with-visual-studio-code-a-free-code-editor-for-os-x-linux-and-windows/#.0kkscvJNM

Raphael Theiler
30-Apr-2015, 01:13 AM
The new editor concentrates on WebApps and "asp.net 5", which looks like a good match for the "nano instances" they introduced recently. I'll certainly try the new editor. Seems to work pretty well on my (rather old) MacBook.

The good (and at the same time sort of bad) news is: they got rid of "classic asp", which means they cut out old stuff and don't need to carry old ( dead?) weight around. But it also means DF "legacy WebApps" can't be edited.

One more reason to switch to 18.0/18.1 WebApps :D

chuckatkinson
30-Apr-2015, 05:06 AM
Cool - but the links in the article are not working ?

Microsoft has been hitting a high note under Nadella of late. He seems to have a better grasp than Ballmer did ...

Yeah Raphael - another reason of many to get to 18.x Microsoft has never been shy about dropping old legacy stuff, including breaking it. DAW not so much. I have recently compiled code in DF 18 that was written in mid 1980's and it works. How amazing is that ...

Focus
30-Apr-2015, 05:22 AM
Just clicked on the first two in green and they seem to work ?

chuckatkinson
30-Apr-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks - they are working now - they weren't working early this morning (USA CST about 5am).

Raphael Theiler
1-May-2015, 02:31 AM
So, now that Microsoft supports nodejs and starts to open source their software... and especially since ASP.NET runs on OS X and linux, it's time to ask again: When will DF WebApps run on other platforms as well?
(I don't expect you to make it work on Windows 10, running on a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino ;), but Linux would be nice...)