PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft nano server.

seanyboy
8-Apr-2015, 01:55 PM
It looks like Microsoft has taken another step towards idempotent server resources.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2015/04/08/microsoft-announces-nano-server-for-modern-apps-and-cloud.aspx

This is a bit too much of a new technology for me for now, and it's 64bit only, but in the context of webapp, it's interesting.

chuckatkinson
8-Apr-2015, 02:02 PM
Interesting - but the lack of WOW64 makes it impossible for DF web app deployment. I do wish we would have a 64bit web app server. It would make life a lot easier. Really now with only a couple of ASP components in the web app system, there are fewer and fewer reason for web app to even require IIS for the server. Wishful thinking of running it on node.js or Apache.

seanyboy
8-Apr-2015, 02:36 PM
You can run web services through Apache with Mertech's Evolution.
As long as you're happy to keep IIS in the stack, you should also be able to use node.js via the Request module.

seanyboy
8-Apr-2015, 02:37 PM
Heh.

Wil already started a thread about the same. I didn't see it.
http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?56004-Time-to-start-thinking-about-64-bits-support

chuckatkinson
8-Apr-2015, 05:07 PM
You can run web services through Apache with Mertech's Evolution.

Now why would I want to do that ? I develop dataflex web applications - not angular.js ;)

seanyboy
9-Apr-2015, 06:33 AM
It's not just for Angular.js. You referenced node.js & apache, and that's why I mentioned it. It'll work with both these things. It'll also work with PHP, RoR, angular, python, java, at the front end and the back end, and it appears to be compatible with the big three web servers.

But yes - absolutely. If you're only going to develop dataflex web apps, using only the dataflex stack, then you're only going to need dataflex.

;-)

Raphael Theiler
17-Feb-2016, 03:45 AM
Is support for the Windows Nano server planned in near future?

vernahorrocks
26-May-2017, 05:42 AM
Yes very much interesting I must say. really Google taken another step towards idempotent server resources.