PDA

View Full Version : Installing Alpha 2 removed my file associations for 18.0

Anders Ohrt
27-Mar-2015, 01:39 AM
I installed A2, and when I got to the "register file extensions" page, I pressed "select/unselect all" twice. I then proceeded with the installation. Later I noticed that DF-files no longer opened in 18.0 when clicked, I got the "what do you want to do with this file" dialog from Windows instead. Easily fixed by selecting the 18.0 studio for each file type, but a bug non the less. =)

chuckatkinson
29-Mar-2015, 10:10 AM
The default for the Alpha release is file extensions are NOT SELECTED for association. Maybe you clicked an extra click? They should all be unselected. I've done many installs/uninstalls of DF 18.1 alpha's and never had a problem.

Stephen W. Meeley
29-Mar-2015, 02:04 PM
Hi Anders,

I want to make sure I'm following you on this.

You had 18.0 installed and all of the file extensions were set to it.
The Alpha 2 installation defaults to not selecting any of the file extensions
You pressed the select all once (which would have set them all to selected) and then pressed unselect all once (which would have set them all back to unselected). Correct so far?
Then, after the installation was complete the file extensions were not set to 18.1, but they were no longer set to 18.0 (the starting point) either. Still correct?

I'll test to see if I can reproduce this, but want to make sure I'm using the same sequence (because just looking at the logic in the installation script I can't see how this could happen).

Anders Ohrt
30-Mar-2015, 01:09 AM
Stephen,

You are correct, that's the exact steps I took.

chuckatkinson
30-Mar-2015, 08:42 AM
I just followed your exact steps installing a DF 18.1 Alpha release and my old DF 18 extensions are still working perfectly !

Stephen W. Meeley
30-Mar-2015, 09:09 AM
Anders,

I tested on two machines (both Win 7, but the installation logic is the same on all platforms) and could not get this to fail. I could "break" the associations by installing 18.1 (with all associations set) and then uninstalling 18.1 - this will not set the associations back to 18.0 - it will simply remove them. Not sure if there is anything I can do about that.

Anders Ohrt
31-Mar-2015, 01:53 AM
Stephen,

I think this was due to a pending change from uninstalling 17.1. I did that a while ago, and probably did not reboot until installing 18.1 A2.

So a feature request, can we have a "register associations" in the studio somewhere? Then it would not matter if an uninstalled removed them, or an Alpha overwrote them. =)