PDA

View Full Version : 18.1 Installation errors

Bob Worsley
18-Jan-2015, 03:16 PM
I thought I'd install 18.1 on my customer's server to see if anything had changed in the mobile arena and ran into the following errors

and I guess I've got to kill the install with task manager because clicking Ok on one error gives me the other and clicking on that gives me the first error ad nausium. This is on Server 2003 which we are replacing but for now it's all I have. Problem is that if I do that it's going to leave the install in limbo.

Alternatives?

Stephen W. Meeley
18-Jan-2015, 03:49 PM
Bob,

Can you tell me a bit more about this machine and the installation? In particular...

1. Any other revisions of DF installed?
2. Did you install to default locations or somewhere else?
3. Did you try to enter a reg code or just let it install SN 5001 (the default testing SN)?

Also, the references I see to a missing propsys.dll all seem to point to bad or missing system files (it's not one of ours) and they are talking about running the System File Checker tool to try to fix the system. See this information...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Bob Worsley
18-Jan-2015, 04:21 PM
1. 18.0 Server is installed
2. Default for the runtime, another drive for the examples
3. no reg code, just let it install what it wanted.

I did google propsys.dll and it said a reinstall of the app might help but I was hesitant to kill the install but I guess I have to. I'll look at your link...

Bob Worsley
18-Jan-2015, 04:30 PM
Oh, this is Server 2003, the last XP edition of MS server so your link won't work since it's for Vista and up. I've found the Server 2003 version...

kenjohnson
3-Feb-2015, 08:52 AM
I have the same issue, Bob, where did you find the 2003 version of Propsys.dll ?
Ken

Bob Worsley
3-Feb-2015, 09:17 AM
No idea, my systems guy took care of it. I vaguely remember that you can pull it from your server's archived OS files but can't verify that. Depending on what OS your server is running you can Google and find instructions. Word is do NOT download from the Web...

starzen
3-Feb-2015, 09:27 AM
Do a google on propsys.dll. there are several reasons for having a problem with it and one of them could be a virus/Trojan

Bob Worsley
3-Feb-2015, 09:47 AM
Do a google on propsys.dll. there are several reasons for having a problem with it and one of them could be a virus/Trojanwhich is probably why not to download a copy...

Stephen W. Meeley
3-Feb-2015, 12:45 PM
Bob,

Did you ever get this worked out?

I checked bot here in the Forums and in all our archived e-mail (including support) and don't find any other reference to propsys.dll except for this thread.

Bob Worsley
3-Feb-2015, 01:17 PM
My systems guy restored the file but I never got around to attempting a reinstall, too much else doing. I suppose I should...

kenjohnson
4-Feb-2015, 10:46 AM
No, have not resolved issue; tried "svc /scannow"; searched all install disks for the dll.

18.0 installed without incident

cannot find other info on line to help.

Stephen W. Meeley
4-Feb-2015, 12:36 PM
Hi Ken,

When you say "18.0 installed without incident" can you say when that was?

I ask this because for all practical purposes, the 18.0 and 18.1 installations are the same. For instance, if I compare the two installations in Beyond Compare, I see the following...

11,492 lines vs 11,581 lines
201 total differences (sections)

Of those 201 differences they are all just different constant values, such as wording in dialogs, names of registry settings, lots of uses of 18.1 instead of 18.0, some lines commented out for pre-release builds, etc.

There is not one "new" action - meaning something in the 18.1 script that doesn't already exist in the 18.0 script one or more times - to be found. Nor is there any substantive change in the order of actions or any actions removed from the 18.1 script.

So, unless something changed on the target system between installing 18.0 and installing 18.1 there is no apparent reason that I can find that would cause one to fail while the other succeeds.

Bob Worsley
4-Feb-2015, 01:43 PM
Ken, I checked with my systems guy and he said he just copied it from another known safe computer.

kenjohnson
5-Feb-2015, 03:59 PM
Bob, Stephen
I copied the porpsys.dll file before, and tried again with a different Propsys.dll file from another computer...... no luck.

I checked on the 18.0 installation; I had only installed the server module; so I tried installing 18.0.20.15 on another host (identical to others) and it installed without incident; I then tried to install 18.1 on the same host and ERROR.

Now, with the new propsys.dll file the error was different:
the install went through compiling of examples and utility examples then ERROR: Reindex.exe - bad image / Propsys.dll not valid windows image...... the install then progressed to creating indexes and then popped 2 errors the first was the same propsys.dll error the other was Unable to locate compatible version of vdfvm18.dll (I looked and it was in the VD 18.1 bin directory)

I also received a "Studio.exe - Bad Image" error

Bob can you forward me copy the the "good" propsys.dll file?

Ken

Bob Worsley
5-Feb-2015, 08:12 PM
In your private email

kenjohnson
11-Feb-2015, 10:56 AM
thanks Bob,
but on to next issue:

At the end of "indexing utilities" a new error occurs "The Procedure entry Point_except_handler4_common couln not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll" followed by the error "unable to locate compatible version of vdfvm18.dll (vbersion 18.1) or one of it's components"

I tried to copy a newer version of msvcrt.dll, but windows overwrites it within 3 seconds with the old version.

any ideas?

by the way, I noticed that v. 18.0 gives notice that IIS is not installed, but 18.1 does not.

Ken

Stephen W. Meeley
11-Feb-2015, 11:24 AM
Ken - So let's take a step back...

1. What O/S is this?
2. Does the 18.0 Studio install completely (including all the web components) and without any errors or warnings? If not, you must get the O/S environment properly set to the point where it does.
3. Please download 18.1 again (rename the old copy you have) just to make sure it's not corrupt.
4. Install the 18.1 Studio Alpha on the exact same system that you completely and successfully installed 18.0 - does that work?

Jim Albright
16-Mar-2015, 03:12 PM
I am getting the PropSys.dll errors on the latest version of DF 18.1 alpha2. This file does not exist in the DF 18.0. What is this?
Windows XP
PSQL

Jim Albright
16-Mar-2015, 03:38 PM
Turns out that propsys.dll is a Windows dll file. I downloaded another copy and now everything works as expected.

I got my copy from here:
http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/P/propsys.dll/6.0.6000.16386/download.html

Bob Worsley
16-Mar-2015, 09:43 PM
Be careful with downloading that dll, it appears to be a a target for adding viruses and other nasty stuff.

Roel Westhoff [W4]
17-Mar-2015, 04:22 AM
Hello Stephen,

I had the same problem.
Solution: Deinstall DF18a1, reboot, install DF18A2, Reboot, Start DF18a2

After this sequence all was well

Roel

Jim Albright
17-Mar-2015, 09:17 AM
You are correct. I scanned the file with eset32 A/V before installing it. I also use WOT extension on my Google Chrome to check for trusted sites.

Stephen W. Meeley
17-Mar-2015, 09:36 AM
Interesting - Did you get both errors that Bob saw?

This one really has me stumped because we have nothing to do with propsys.dll - it's a Windows system file and we never touch them (either installing or uninstalling).

Jim Albright
18-Mar-2015, 11:33 AM
It did come down with a program to scan registry and other files for viruses. It looked bogus as my eset32 didn't like it. So now it is gone. Thanks.

Håkan Carlsson
19-Mar-2015, 08:52 AM
Hi Bob, I have the same problem. Can you please send the propsys.dll to me

Bob Worsley
19-Mar-2015, 09:24 AM
Send me a private email so I can send you an attachment, the forum email doesn't allow it.

Wim Schimmel
28-Mar-2015, 06:47 AM
Ken,

I have the same problem, my test server is server 2003 SP2
18.0 works fine 18.1 propsys error after copy this file I get msvcrt.dll error
Have you resolved this problem, what did you do?

Wim

kenjohnson
31-Mar-2015, 08:04 AM
Wim,

Problem has not been resolved; I am still developing on a single machine but will wait until the actual 18.1 release to test further on the server.

Ken

Bob Worsley
1-Apr-2015, 08:32 AM
The answer to this problem has finally been found and posted in this (http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?55942-Windows-Server-2003-VDF18-1) thread. It became a non issue for me when we migrated off of Server 2003 to Server 2008. Glad it's solved though...