PDA

View Full Version : Error: illegal action - ref 280

Pepe
4-Dec-2014, 12:42 PM
Hi,

When trying to access a report, or delete it the following error pops-up:

Dynamic AI couldn't complete the requested action
Session abandoned - illegal action - ref 280

The same error happens if I try to delete it, change group, ....

It seems that something is corrupted in the repository.

Is there a way to recover it?

I managed to export it and when importing I get another error: somehow someone logged in with a future date (Jan. 5th 2015).

For details see the attached images

Thanks

Bob Cergol
5-Dec-2014, 09:33 AM
Pepe,

If you know the data source used by the problem report (table, dyn-view, dyn-join) are you able to browse that data source from the database menu?

Your 3rd screen shot mentions DAIADM6. Can you tell me the date-time stamp and bytes size of the file (.DAI extension) found in the DAT subfolder of whatever instance you're running, and speaking of instances, is the instance the default "AI6" one? If you created an additional one the installer will not update those files and you'd have to do that manually.

I doubt the repository is corrupted in the sense of scrambled data or index corruption. It's probably some internal data-inconsistency.

Does the problem report use a style sheet other than the default?

Bob

Bob Cergol
5-Dec-2014, 09:59 AM
P.S. You also mentioned import/export -- Was this report imported? We can take a look at the repository (DNMC.DAI) if you send it along with admin credential and report ID and name.

Pepe
5-Dec-2014, 11:09 AM
I will ask the client for this information. Monday is bank holiday here in Spain so probabley won't be able to answer until tuesday.

Thanks

Regards

Pepe
5-Dec-2014, 11:14 AM
No, the report was not imported. After we got the error we exported and tried to import it back and then we got the DNMC.DAI error.

Regards

Bob Cergol
5-Dec-2014, 08:40 PM
Export / Import requires paying very close, careful attention to dependencies. The process provides some automated checks but you have to inspect what the process tells you and act on it, and you still must be sure that the same connection name exists on the destination. If these details aren't followed I would expect you to get errors trying to execute imported reports.
Bob

Pepe
8-Dec-2014, 12:11 PM
Hi Bob,

Answering your questions:

1- Yes, we can browse the data source.
2- We are using AI6. There aren't any other instances ruuning
3- Enclosed is a screenshot of the .DAT subfolder

4- Style sheet used is "Std 12"

Just to clarify the point regarding exporting/importing: the report has NOT been imported. It started giving the error mentioned so I've tried to export it and importing it back to check if we could get rid of the error on the "newly" imported report.

Regards

Pepe

Bob Cergol
8-Dec-2014, 02:01 PM
Hi Pepe,

You say "It started giving the error mentioned". Do you have any idea what was changed?

If you can access design you could try reloading a previous version of the report -- assuming the report has a version history. If you can't access design for whatever reason you could try reloading an older version of the report using: Administration / Activities / Versioning / Reload deleted. If you know the report ID you can just search for it in the TVal column, otherwise you can use "free search" to search for key word from report title.

My guess is either some dependency (related report, filter selection list report, etc.) has been deleted or rights changed making the dependency inaccessible or something changed on the backend, i.e. data-related. The error isn't very specific. But if you want us to inspect the repository email it to me and let me know the report ID and/or Title to search for.

Maybe searching the log for the period between the time the report ran and then stopped running would shed some light on what action someone may have taken that broke the report.

Bob

Pepe
8-Dec-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi Bob,

If you can access design you could try reloading a previous version of the report:
that is the first thing we did. When trying to reload a previous version we get the same error

But if you want us to inspect the repository email it to me and let me know the report ID and/or Title to search for.
Ok. I will do that tomorrow

Regards

Bob Cergol
8-Dec-2014, 04:22 PM
But can't you offer any additional information about the time period from when the report last ran to the first time it stopped running other than just that one day out of the blue it didn't work? I very strongly doubt the repository is corrupted -- I've never seen it happen -- something else has changed -- but what? Some new data pattern tripping up some formula or filter that didn't expect/allow for the data? Invalid filter values coming from an undefined user-profile alias? ....

If you reloaded a previous version from the general tab in report design did you also try reloading the oldest version? Then, if that worked, progressively newer until it failed?

Also did you try editing the report design with preview turned on to see if you could discover some element in the report causing the problem? This has worked well for me in troubleshooting a problematic report. Since you can browse the data source with no problem maybe trying to recreate the report fresh will reveal the problem. Maybe that is very quick and easy thing to do. It's happened to me personally, that stepping through that process would reveal the the obvious problem my eye couldn't catch in the problem report.

I think the only time I've seen an error message followed by a "session ended" -- is when a dependent list report attached to a select type of filter was deleted.

Bob