PDA

View Full Version : DF18B2 WebApp Check help missing line

wila
22-Apr-2014, 02:11 AM
Hi,

Windows 8.1 x64 fully patched without IIS installed
DF18 beta 2

Running the webapp check tells me to go install the IIS components, I click the "learn more" links and get great pointers on how-to do this.

The topic "Enable IIS metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility" in my opinion misses out on a single line of text telling you to also select the normal IIS management console option.

It tells you to select the IIS 6 compatibility management console, but it does not tell you to select the IIS management console as well. Maybe in the past selecting the IIS 6 one did auto select the normal console?

The image shows the correct selections, but the directions do miss that one step which becomes critical when you have to enable 32 bits compatibility because you can't select the management console then as it ain't there ;)

Hope this helps,
--
Wil

edit: Just went back as I read over the same details in the normal help and there it says near the start "Locate the option called Internet Information Services and select it. "
Wanted to check that in the webappCheck help, but that appears not to have been installed? (unless I'm overlooking something)

For sure I did not select the whole IIS branch at start as I wanted to select option by option. Don't need everything and while that appears to be the default from what I read in DF help, it's not standard checkbox behavior so was careful. Anyways.. do with this what you want ;)
I think spelling it out as I suggest above might help a few devs save some time.

edit 2: Reran install after rolling back my snapshot. Reason was that I was missing not just the webappcheck, but pretty much all webapp parts for whatever reason and obviously the web part did not work.
In the webappcheck help the first line under "Installing Internet Information Services" is:

"Use the Windows Features window to install the required IIS components." Might be helpful to explicitly tell you to check that there right away.

wila
22-Apr-2014, 03:23 AM
After the reinstall I still miss webapp parts.
Compiling webOrder gives a nice error 404.0 not found error, but that makes sense as I miss in the bin folder the files:

DataFlexWebAppCheck.*
WASAdmin.*
WASASP.dll
waswsvc.dll
WebAppServer.exe
wincrtvdir.exe
Xalan*.dll
Xerces*.dll

So yes I'd say it is normal that it doesn't work.
Next up is rebooting after installing IIS..

wila
22-Apr-2014, 03:34 AM
Next up is rebooting after installing IIS..

Yep, that did it.. seems reboot is mandatory if you haven't got IIS installed before starting the setup.

edit: On hindsight.. Probably it is sufficient to just restart the installer. It seems like that the "Is IIS installed" test in the installer is done before running the DataFlexWebAppCheck. It would be nice if the installer is able to catch this (if that's possible of course as I'm not claiming my hindsight vision on things is correct :) )

OK, I'll stop posting to this thread now.
--
Wil

MI@DAE
22-Apr-2014, 10:04 AM
We just tested this with clean installations Windows 7 Pro x64 and Windows Server 2012R2 and by default after selecting the IIS webserver role the IIS management console is selected automatically.
But it won't harm to update the documentation.

Evertjan Dondergoor
22-Apr-2014, 04:54 PM
Harm certainly won't be updating the documentation.

Stephen W. Meeley
22-Apr-2014, 05:30 PM
:rolleyes: