PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity Book Help

Clive Richmond
22-Apr-2014, 01:19 AM
I noticed in the build notes (18.0.19.5) that the Connectivity book was updated.

This included the suggestion in this post (http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?52496-Connection-Ids-amp-Open-As&p=269551#post269551) – thanks for this addition – but the page it jumps to there is no mention of the options that Martin describes in this post (http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?52496-Connection-Ids-amp-Open-As&p=269685#post269685) or elsewhere that I can find.

Dennis Piccioni
22-Apr-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks Clive,

I'll make sure it gets in.

Dennis Piccioni
22-Apr-2014, 10:51 AM
Thanks again for catching this Clive, it'll be in the next 18.0 build.

Clive Richmond
30-Apr-2014, 09:39 PM
Hi Dennis,

Thanks. Just loaded B3 and this is a great improvement. If I may, a couple of suggestions:

There is no explanation of when or why you would use the options argument with a connection string. In my particular case it was needed so our system tables would work. There may be other uses for the option argument but I am not sure e.g. the definition of overlap columns or relationships?

Under the topic ‘Opening a Table without using an Intermediate File’ a link back to the ‘Open’ topic in the See Also section.

Dennis Piccioni
30-Apr-2014, 11:21 PM
Hi Clive,

thanks for your feedback. Currently, the only possible 'option' is the INT file and the reasons for doing so are outlined. I'll add the link.

Clive Richmond
1-May-2014, 12:08 AM
thanks for your feedback. Currently, the only possible 'option' is the INT file and the reasons for doing so are outlined. I'll add the link.

Cheers.

The link to the intermediate file does explain this in full but I am not sure 'The INT file will be used to open the table' since the next line implies the connection string will be used. Perhaps the first line, or reason, should read 'The INT file will be used for information needed after the table has been opened.'

Dennis Piccioni
1-May-2014, 09:39 AM
Ok, I'll try to clarify.