PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Create DEF from Studio

Pieter van Dieren
2-Feb-2014, 04:21 AM
Could you please add the option to create a DEF file from the Studio?
Or automatically create it when changes are being made to a table?

When more then 1 developer is working on a single workspace, having an updated DEF is an easy way to see which database changes have been made.
I make all database changes from within the Studio but now always have to start the dbBuilder to create the DEF. Not handy.

Thanks. :)

FrankValcarcel
2-Feb-2014, 09:32 PM
We looked at that and have taken a different approach. We make all our changes through the application programmatically when the program starts. As soon as it has updated the database it automatically creates a new def. This way site are always up to date.

Pieter van Dieren
3-Feb-2014, 03:00 AM
Hi Frank,

It's not needed for deployment, but for development.

Peter van Mil
3-Feb-2014, 05:40 AM
Hi Pieter,

See also: http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/showthread.php?52731-SQL-datatypes-and-DEF-files

Generating DEF files from the Studio would be the best option.

seanyboy
3-Feb-2014, 06:43 AM
+1 for this.

I have a client uses the .DEF files to keep their tables up to date. This would be very useful.
At the very least, make sure the "Create .DEF" tickbox is ticked by default when saving a file in DBBuilder.

Peter Crook
4-Feb-2014, 04:14 AM
I too make file definition changes programmatically and find that during the course of development I often need to create .FD files. This means having to go to DBBuilder and untick the 'Create .DEF' option and tick the 'Create .FD' one. I hardly ever create a .DEF file.

So I would welcome being able to create .FD files from the Studio and in the meantime would prefer that the .FD option is the default in DBBuilder.

The other use I make of DBBuilder is to renumber indexes which it, but not, it seems, the Studio, allows.