PDA

View Full Version : Error connecting to Oracle DB

Michael Mullan
22-Jan-2014, 09:58 PM
Hi

I installed the oracle 11gr2 client and set up tnsnames.ora, and got a good connection test in the oracle installer.

I then tried to connect using dynamic AI. 6.4. and got this error:

Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-01019

when I hit the test button.

:-(

Bo Andersen
23-Jan-2014, 04:39 AM
Hi Michael,

This Oracle error message means "Unable to allocate memory in the user side". Dynamic AI tries to retrieve the error explanation from your Oracle driver and failed.

It seems to be a problem with permissions somewhere in the client stack (according to this link):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12081734/ora-01019-unable-to-allocate-memory-in-the-user-side-in-ado-program-on-windows-7

This guys offers other things to try.
http://prasanth4microsoft.blogspot.com/2010/11/windows7-excel-vba-ora-01019-unable-to.html

You ccould try to to pick the other of the 2 connection options for Oracle in Dynamic AI and see if that helps:

Best regards

Bo

Michael Mullan
24-Jan-2014, 06:55 PM
None of these things worked.

I have a good connection to oracle from sql plus.

In the direct oracle connection I get "Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-01019"

In the ODBC connection I get "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed"

The OLEDB comes up as not installed.

:-(

I blew far too much billable time on this today. I wanted to show the client how awesome it was, and got nothing. :-(

I really need a proper solution to this.

Bob Cergol
24-Jan-2014, 07:48 PM
Michael,

I'm not an expert on Oracle so Bo or maybe Eddy need to answer, but, be aware that current version of Dynamic AI is 32 bit. You cannot use 64 bit drivers with it. Might that be an issue? Since you say "it comes up that OLEDB is not installed" maybe its because it's not -- at least the 32 bit client that is required.

Bob

Bob Cergol
24-Jan-2014, 07:51 PM
P.S. Using Oracle as backend is not theoretical. There are other companies using it, as well as DB2, My-SQL, PostIngres, Sybase and Informix, oh and I have a client that uses P.SQL with it. I even know of one site who uses FlexODBC with native Dataflex Tables.

Michael Mullan
25-Mar-2014, 01:09 PM
I magically resolved this issue. The machine I'm using is a Win7 x64 Virtual machine, and dies not reboot when you log off, you have to explicitly reboot it. I suspect that after one or other of the installations I did during this process, a reboot hadn't happened. I left it for a while, and then as if by magic, it just worked.

If all else fails, hit the computer with a hammer. It wasn't Dynamic AI's fault.

Garret Mott
25-Mar-2014, 01:34 PM
If all else fails, hit the computer with a hammer.

Isn't that universal? Along with "And if that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer".