PDA

View Full Version : Table Explorer Change

Peter Crook
16-Jan-2014, 06:27 AM
Clicking on a table name in the Table Explorer list opens the Table Viewer. This is a change of behaviour from 17.1 which I don't like. I'm much more likely to want to open the table to edit it than to view it.
Also the context menu doesn't show the default action in bold.

Chris Spencer
16-Jan-2014, 06:57 AM
Peter

Even though I like the view table data option I agree with your comment ,clicking should open it in structure edit mode
and the view option should be selected from the popup menu.

John Tuohy
16-Jan-2014, 11:47 AM
We can easily change this back. After working with the new table viewer we found that this was the option that we wanted to access most often and also the option that just sort of made sense. How about we let this change settle in and see how you all feel about this in a couple of weeks.

-John

Mike Peat
16-Jan-2014, 11:58 AM
+1 - I think "Edit Table" rather than "View Table" should be the double-click default.

Mike

Michael Mullan
16-Jan-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm a maintenance programmer. Most of my stuff is already set in stone, and DB changes are rare, and fraught with danger. But I REALLY often want to see what's in the table For me a Right click "edit Table" is the better choice.

so -1

chuckatkinson
16-Jan-2014, 12:30 PM
+1 for double-click opens in edit. There is that nice icon on the menubar to view a table. I think I would leave at that. Or you right click and select view table. That should be enough options. I vote for leaving it the same as previous versions - edit table.

kelly
16-Jan-2014, 12:30 PM
+1

Garret Mott
16-Jan-2014, 12:48 PM
Just to be a PITA..... (Hey - I'm good at it!) How complicated would it be to have it user-configurable?

I too prefer to edit the table structure with a double-click, as I most often view data in SSMC, but I can see that others might prefer 'tother way 'round.

chuckatkinson
16-Jan-2014, 12:59 PM
PITA - I think it should default to what the previous version of studio did. I'm confused enough already :confused:

Michael Mullan
16-Jan-2014, 01:21 PM
plus 1 for what I said, or plus 1 for Peters Original point?

Mike Peat
16-Jan-2014, 01:38 PM
Getting confused - may I suggest that a DAW person start a poll.

Mike

Bob Worsley
16-Jan-2014, 01:47 PM
Or alternatively make it a setup option. There seems to be enough dissention that it might make sense...

Garret Mott
16-Jan-2014, 02:11 PM
Ummm... read 2 posts up from yours?

But - glad you agree with me!

Bob Worsley
16-Jan-2014, 03:57 PM
Ha! Must have read it too quickly. Great minds think alike...

Ok then what Garret said.

matthewd
16-Jan-2014, 09:14 PM
+1, this might be a setting best is controlled at the workspace level...

kelly
17-Jan-2014, 01:29 AM
Not yours anyway! ;)

I meant Peters.

Seems like you're outnumbered though...

Ian Smith
19-Jan-2014, 05:34 AM
Way back when... I wanted the default action to open up the data dictionary and not the table editor. I still find that after the initial setup of the table definitions I spend most of my time working with the DDs and not the table definitions.

As there is now a third option that some will want to be the default please, please can the default action be configurable at the Studio level. (I personally want a consistent action so would not want the configuration at the workspace level. )

Mark Rutherford
19-Jan-2014, 08:16 AM
Visual studio opens the table in edit mode.... I think the Dataflex studio should too.
I know this isn't visual studio but it would be nice to keep things similar.
In all seriousness I rarely do these things in Visual Studio.. I an a Navicat fan....But that's me :p

Keeping it similar is probably the best bet.

(Calling it Dataflex is going to take some getting used to....)

John van Houten
19-Jan-2014, 03:01 PM
Other than the marketing perspective the revamped product has some practical aspects... it's less typing :). The impatient person in me appreciates that.

Takes up less space too and, alphabetically, it sorts closer to the top.

John van Houten
Data Access Corporation

Todd Forsberg
19-Jan-2014, 05:01 PM
To be honest, I really don't care what it is called as long as works GREAT!!! :)

danwalsh46
20-Jan-2014, 06:11 AM
+1 double-click should open in edit mode

Jim Albright
20-Jan-2014, 09:52 AM
I have no preference. I will eventually get used to whatever is the current standard.

Allan Greis Eriksen
23-Jan-2014, 09:23 AM
Please default the editing mode rather the data viewing.