PDA

View Full Version : Installation notes

Marco
15-Jan-2014, 07:11 PM
Hi Guys

First congrats with the Alpha release so quick after 171. release!

A couple of constructive comments regarding the installation:
1. Run WebApp Check on wizard page 2, is great. However it seems double up and not clear that you have to click run a second time on the started program. I think it would be better if the check is started as soon as the first 'Run WebApp Check' is pressed.
2. if all are green perhaps the button should change the text to 'All ok, click here to close and return to setup' or when errors, change the button text to 'Issues have been found, click here to goto our whitepage, or something like that.
3. Dialog sizes, fixed to larger font sizes; all now looking ok, except for the compiling dialogs.
4. On DF2014 studio, first message of Online resources is Visual Dataflex 2012 released, should it be Alpha 2014 available?

My next step is to convert and compile some apps, confirming existing behavior is not changed.
But am tight with time so no promises :)

Cheers
Marco

DaveR
16-Jan-2014, 10:37 AM
agreed on 1. and 2. I admit to just sitting here wondering why nothing was happening :rolleyes:

Clive Richmond
22-Jan-2014, 10:30 AM
Yes I agree with point 1.

I actually though it was waiting for the result to be displayed :confused:. Perhaps launch it with an argument that forces it to run automatically. Great tool BTW.

chuckatkinson
22-Jan-2014, 10:45 AM
On Pt 2 - if there are issues wouldn't it be nice if it just ran a script to configure IIS to run WebApp ?

Jim Albright
22-Jan-2014, 11:32 AM
wouldn't it be nice if it just ran a script to configure IIS to run WebApp ?
+1

Stephen W. Meeley
22-Jan-2014, 11:37 AM
Microsoft frowns on other programs making configuration changes to the system - plus I'd be very worried about taking on that kind of responsibility. I think we can do a better job of presenting the appropriate information on what to change, but I doubt we'll ever try to make system changes like that.

Richard Hogg
23-Jan-2014, 12:04 AM
At first glance I was of the opinion yes but on thinking about it further I'm probably more inclined to SWM's view. I think the tool does a good job of detecting issues and then even provides some documentation there and then on possible steps to take to fix them (which is great, made it very easy for me) but I think the fix/s should be done through the "normal" methods. This could be because of the reason SWM gave or even it could be something like the IT area of the client has a policy of not allowing things like this. But I do get where you're coming from Chuck.

Cheers
Richard

Peter Crook
23-Jan-2014, 04:33 AM
Point 2 - agreed. It took me a while to figure out whether it had finished, needed to be run again, or what.
So far no problems compiling and test running existing app.

Clive Richmond
26-Feb-2014, 02:43 AM
Yes I agree with point 1.

I actually though it was waiting for the result to be displayed :confused:. Perhaps launch it with an argument that forces it to run automatically. Great tool BTW.

This works much smarter when installing Alpha II. Thanks.