PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year; Exciting Changes Coming in 2014

Peter van Mil
7-Jan-2014, 04:39 AM
I am glad to hear about the upcoming changes.

Most e-mail mailings of DAW are quarantained as spam by Exchange 2010. I am using Spamhaus.org. Do others have the same problem? Can this be avoided?

Sture
7-Jan-2014, 06:23 AM
I'm on gmail and do not have that problem. I hope you can fix it.

Yes it's exciting news. And it's here (http://www.dataaccess.com/Promos/2014/DAWemail_01062014_PresUpdate.html).

-Sture

Mike Cooper
7-Jan-2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks for posting the link Sture...

I never got the email either.

M

Peter van Mil
7-Jan-2014, 07:29 AM
Hi Sture,

I have created a second account on GMail, because I missed eNews and mails in the past. (Otherwise I wouldn't have seen this e-mail). I guess that DAW doesn't have "a good reputation" at Spamhaus.org. But I am not sure...

FrankValcarcel
7-Jan-2014, 09:45 AM
I believe Spamhaus uses IP ranges to block. We ran into this in the past. If someone else in your IP range spams you get blocked. When we were on DSL we had to send our mail out via MailHop because our IP was in a range identified by Spamhaus as "bad". Since we moved to Comcast cable we don't have that problem. DAC either needs to request Spamhaus remove them from the bad list or talk to their IP provider why they have a spammer on their segment. It could also be something silly like the news emails are being sent from someones private account/IP address.

Dennis Piccioni
7-Jan-2014, 10:48 AM
I have asked our network administrator for advice.

Chip Casanave
7-Jan-2014, 01:18 PM
Sture, thanks for posting the link. I can assure you that we are excited about the branding changes, DataFlex 2014 and the year ahead!

I'm not excited about the difficulties expressed here about getting our emails! We spend considerable effort to ensure that our message titles and content do not include words or phrases that will trigger spam-filters. The IP range factor is new to us and we will look into it ASAP. All of our large-distribution emails are sent from the same email management application that we have used for the last few years.

If you are not getting eNews and other Data Access email communications because you're not on our list, please sign up here (http://www.dataaccess.com/enews.asp?pageid=1210).

Mike Cooper
7-Jan-2014, 01:56 PM
I've done a bit of work on this myself and took the time to familiarize myself with the Barracuda Spam scoring and found the weaknesses in our own email marketing by studying the message headers. Doing this enabled us to get a better end point success rate on our emails.

Of course, this is also a changing topic.

M

Bob Fenske
7-Jan-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

I checked spamhaus.org (link to lookup domain and IP addresses below). Our server IP address and dataaccess.com domain are not listed in their block lists.

Can you add dataaccess.com to your Exchange server email whitelist? This should address the blocking of your emails from Data Access.

I got this excerpt from the spamhaus site:

I'm seeing bounces, but I don't find my IP address in your list... help?

The Spamhaus Blocklists are only some of many public DNSBL systems. In addition to publicly-queriable lists, many networks maintain their own private blocking lists. And DNSBLs are only one of many reasons that could cause a Delivery Status Notication (DSN).
Read the bounce ('DSN') messages carefully; they should provide clues as to why your mail was rejected. Unfortunately, some of them are not accurate or helpful; sometimes they even point to Spamhaus SBL for no reason at all. But, since each system which rejects your mail may give a different DSN, do read several of the messages and you will find some that make sense and help you track down the problem.
Locate the IP address which was rejected, generally the IP address of your outbound mail server and usually noted in the DSN message. Test it in the "IP Removal" form at www.spamhaus.org/lookup (http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/). If it does not show up with that form, the address is not listed in any Spamhaus DNSBL (that form queries all the most current Spamhaus zones).

Hope everyone has the greatest year ever!

Mike Cooper
7-Jan-2014, 02:36 PM
You may already know this but:

Spam scores escalate for many reasons.... The most common ones are:

HTML body with no plain text component
- always best to send a plain text only email but if you want HTML you really should include a Plain text component

If the To and From emails are the same the score increases

Of course certain words in the content create problems

It is also a good idea to send from a specific SMTP and have that added as a SPF record to your domain's DNS

You can look in the header of the message and find the spam score and flags.

Here is a good link for spam tests

http://spamassassin.apache.org/tests_3_3_x.html

HTH

Mike

Peter van Mil
7-Jan-2014, 04:38 PM
I will look further into it later, but I get this error code:

#550 5.2.1 Content Filter agent quarantined this message ##

Mike Cooper
7-Jan-2014, 04:46 PM
It sounds like your local spam guard is making the decision

For the sender it is useful to study the spam ratings which get planted in the message header

M

kelly
8-Jan-2014, 03:20 AM
No sign of that email in either of my email accounts I only found out about it via word and mouth.

For some reason us "down under" people don't get the emails from dataaccess.com.au sometimes at all or sometimes until about 4 days after worldwide release.

Not sure why everyone is not just sent to at one time from one global address.

Peter van Mil
8-Jan-2014, 04:18 AM
The Original SCL rating is 5 and that's the reason that it is quarantained. Maybe it can configured better or different, but this is what it is now.

X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL: -1
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-Original-SCL: 5

X-MS-Exchange-Organization-Original-SCL:
Identifies the original SCL of a quarantined message when it first entered the Exchange organization.

X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL:
Identifies the SCL of the message. The possible SCL values are from 0 through 9. A larger value indicates a suspicious message. The special value -1 exempts the message from processing by the Content Filter agent. For more information, see Content Filtering.