PDA

View Full Version : New WAF licensing for Test/Quality environment

Samuel Pizarro
20-Dec-2013, 09:13 PM
Previously (before 17.1) we could have a Production WebApp workspace and also a Test/Quality form the same application running with a single licence for the server.

Like using a different url (private one) for testing purposes, that differ from the production one. It's quite normal to have a Test/Quality environment to test new application versions during some days/weeks before turning it out into production.

With the new WAF licensing policy, if someone needs to use the Application(workspace) option, instead of the other one based on # of users, it looks that we need to buy 2 WebApp licenses for the same real application. 1 for production and another one for the test environment ?

Is that correct ? Doesn't it sound too expensive, just to have a test workspace running for a couple of days ?

What are the options ?

Thanks

Marco
23-Dec-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi Samuel

It is my understanding that you would either need a 2 application Webapp. or a 1 application webApp and a webCombo licences.

You can get away with the second one if all the testers are in-house and you already have VDf licences for them.

However the price of a webApp server has come down a fair bit, so I think in most cases the 2 application webapp 'upgrade' is cheaper than the renewal of your previous webapp license.

Hope this is helpful.
But perhaps best to call your local rep.

Samuel Pizarro
23-Dec-2013, 07:00 PM
Hi Marco.thanks for you suggestions. Will investigate the combo option.Merry Christmas!

Garret Mott
23-Dec-2013, 07:06 PM
Why wouldn't your development license cover a test site?

Or did I miss something about WAF not being covered under the Studio license?

Samuel Pizarro
30-Dec-2013, 06:22 PM
Hi Garret

You are assuming you have your Dev and Test environment together in your local (personal) desktop/notebook.

Studio license covers whatever I run on my Studio Machine (desktop/notebook). So for sure the Dev environment is covered.

But what if I have a separete environment for testing, that simulates as much as possible the real production environment.
Real web-server, real-domain (intranet or internet) , real production data, real users, real everythng. It's a complete set of the production workspace where user can play arround, play free as little chields. :rolleyes:
You can't have such thing in your personal dev notebook.

That's what I am talking about.

Thanks

Garret Mott
30-Dec-2013, 10:25 PM
I probably better stop. What I consider ethical in the way of using licenses may not 100% agree with the terms of DAW's agreement. I'm especially unfamiliar with the WAF situation.