PDA

View Full Version : Installation Issues

jwilk
1-Dec-2013, 06:47 PM
Trying to install Dynamic AI on a server it has never been on before. Server 2003 32 Bit SP3

The install fails with an Error. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

The windows installer is loaded and running. Restarting the service achieves nothing. Changing the login credentials to administrator achieves nothing.

We cant reinstall windows installer as thats a .msu file which needs Windows Update Standalone Installer which appears to be a component of Windows 2008 up only.

All relevant Windows updates are loaded.

As this is a supported environment for Dynamic AI we assume we are missing something somewhere?

Suggestions?

Bob Cergol
2-Dec-2013, 09:12 AM
John,

I've never heard of this occurring and have personally installed on Server 2003 many times.

Can you confirm the installation build you are using?

Can you provide some additional details from Windows error log so we can help you determine what is unique about your server environment?

In my 4 years' experience with Dynamic AI installation problems have been exceedingly rare -- and always involving some rights issue or some, normally standard, component of a Windows environment, missing (Microsoft DAC components for example). Installation in a Windows 8 environment requires at least build 6.4.94. The download link you were provided most recently has build 6.4.95.

Bob

Bo Andersen
2-Dec-2013, 03:18 PM
Hey John,

Windows 2003 is definitely supported. It comes in two versions; 2003 and 2003R2 - if you post which release you use and also the Dynamic AI version, I will be happy to verify that it works.

If it's a fresh machine, maybe Internet Information Server has not yet been installed. There's a guide from Microsoft here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998483(v=exchg.65).aspx
-remember to allow ASP in IIS (If ASP is not enabled, Dynamic AI will still install correctly, but it won't work - if IIS is not installed, the Dynamic AI installation can't complete).

As far as I can tell, Windows installer 4.5 is the most recent for Windows 2003 - It can be downloaded from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483 - it may be worth a shot..

Thanks for your patience

Bo Andersen

jwilk
2-Dec-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks Bo. Sorry I should have mentioned its just Server 2003 (ie not the R2 Version).

Yes as far as I am aware 4.5 is the latest version of Windows Installer I can put on the server, however I cant install it as its a .msu file which requires the Windows Stand-alone Update Service which is not on the computer and as far as I can see doesn't actually work until Server 2008.

Hence I am slightly stuck. As far as I can gather Windows Installer does work on the machine for other products. I tried changing the Windows Installer Service to start as local administrator too and that made no difference.

I assume the 1st release of Server 2003 is supported by Dyanamics, as the Docs just say Server 2003

Hence any ideas are certainly welcome (FYI, I installed the same download on Windows XP 32 bit without an issue so I don't think there is a problem with the build I have).

jwilk
2-Dec-2013, 05:15 PM
Hello Bob,

Its not a Dynamics problem I am sure. The build works on XP (I installed the trial licence on XP last week with the same build).

As far as I can see its a Windows Installer issue. The thing is Windows Installer seems to work with other products. I am however unsure what version of Windows Installer we are running, and it may simply be a version problem. But ...... I can't seem to update Windows Installer either as Microsoft provide a .msu file for the update and you need Windows Standalone update service to install .msu and that service only appears to be a component of Server 2008 or above!

Hence yes as soon as I can connect to the server I will send the other information you have requested, but I think we have tracked the problem to Windows Installer and possibly simply the version we are running on the server is too old.

I assume from the docs that Windows Server 2003 (not R2) is supported? As the docs just say Windows Server 2003?

Stephen W. Meeley
2-Dec-2013, 05:22 PM
John,

I just looked and you can download Windows Installer 4.5 for Windows Server 2003 as an exe at this link...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483

jwilk
2-Dec-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks Stephen. That appears to me to be for XP but I think its a good point I will try it and post the results here

Bob Cergol
2-Dec-2013, 08:40 PM
John,
It's the same link that Bo provided. To get the EXE file version you first have to click the download button. Then you can choose among install options -- exe vs. msu, 64 bit vs. x86.
Bob

Stephen W. Meeley
2-Dec-2013, 09:44 PM
John,

When you hit the download link you get a list of options that scrolls and the bottom few are all server 2003 (32 or 64 bit).

jwilk
3-Dec-2013, 07:52 PM
Thank you Stephen. Cant work out how I missed that!

Stephen W. Meeley
4-Dec-2013, 09:41 AM
The clarity of the solution is inversely proportional to the urgency of the problem. I didn't need it and you did :cool:

jwilk
5-Dec-2013, 10:06 PM
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!