PDA

View Full Version : This Forum

jceoms
13-Nov-2013, 01:46 PM
why is this forum in php and not vdf?

Gregg Finney
13-Nov-2013, 01:52 PM
Now that there is funny.! Sounds like a project for some of the WAF guru's to think about.

jceoms
13-Nov-2013, 01:54 PM
in my opinion should be vdf

Dennis Piccioni
13-Nov-2013, 01:56 PM
Instead of writing our own forum software, we purchased an well-known existing forum product (vBulletin). This way, we can focus our time and resources on improving our products rather than on forum software.

Gregg Finney
13-Nov-2013, 02:15 PM
That would be nice and would sure be a showcase for DAW. For DAW it's more cost effective to use vBulletin and also want Dennis states. However I did get a chuckle out of your statement and I do agree with you.

chuckatkinson
13-Nov-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm not even sure anyone (except maybe Harm or Jvh) could build a similar forum in WAF? Seems like a huge challenge. Does anyone know if Electos 4.5 is completely built using WAF? I know it requires 17.1 webapp server.

Gregg Finney
13-Nov-2013, 02:49 PM
Elect what? Told ya I got Chuckle out of it.

chuckatkinson
13-Nov-2013, 02:51 PM
Toes .. Elect my Toes... :D

Vincent Oorsprong
13-Nov-2013, 03:03 PM
Chuck, all,

Electos is of course written with WebApp as it was originally a showcase of what you could do with WebApp's. The current state of the product is ASP based with a bit of custom JavaScript where needed. While the Studio could be probably be re-written with the Web Application Framework I think the publishing part would not fit as pages could not be indexed anymore by google or another search engine. Let's not forget that the Web Application Framework was designed to make business applications for the Web and not to replace or build websites.

PS: I do think creating a forum like this with WebApp would be a nice challenge but none of us has time to do it, it won't bring money and it is a huge job.

chuckatkinson
13-Nov-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks Vincent, just after I posted this message I realized that it is written in Dataflex since there is dataflex source code for it. Sometimes my brain lags my fingers on the forum :D

Gregg Finney
13-Nov-2013, 03:24 PM
My excuse is I went to the Bar for lunch. Went early and stayed too long.

seanyboy
14-Nov-2013, 03:25 AM
If you're considering moving it to a different (less hacked) forum software, then

http://www.discourse.org/

s (http://www.discourse.org/)eems like a good option.

Harm Wibier
14-Nov-2013, 08:28 AM
The risk is that if we all start using that product it will get hacked ;).

It does look pretty cool...

seanyboy
14-Nov-2013, 09:41 AM
It might get hacked, but

it's not PHP;
it is open source;
it is new software (security baked in from the ground floor);
it's by Jeff Atwood (The stackoverflow guy)
It has a sane security policy
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/SECURITY.md

I think it's probably safer than vBulletin

Dennis Piccioni
14-Nov-2013, 11:08 AM
A lot of good points, not the least of which is Jeff Atwood, whose CodingHorror.com has been one of my favorite blogs for years (way before StackOverflow).

Focus
14-Nov-2013, 11:45 AM
why is this forum in php and not vdf?

Why does it matter to you ? surely it's about the service not the language it's written in