PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Developer

Garret Mott
30-May-2013, 07:08 PM
Looking for a VDF developer to do contract work.

This would be a work remotely situation & part-time, though it could grow to a decent amount of work over the next few years. Since it’d be remote, your location really doesn’t matter, though the ability to meet would be good.
Rate commensurate with experience, but there are limits…. I’d like someone with at least 5 years VDF (Windows) experience – though I could be convinced to give someone really smart a try with less. SQL Server, Web Service, Crystal Reports experience would all be pluses.

A sense of humor is an absolute requirement – but then look who’s posting this! :cool:

Please contact me through the forum link.

Garret Mott
3-Jun-2013, 08:42 AM
Update:

This is where the "humor" comes in...

I have a client who asked for a great deal of work & said they want it done quickly. However, the specs for what they want just aren't developed enough to proceed. I will be contacting everyone who has replied individually, but it looks as though any start on this work is still a few months away.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up!

Bob Worsley
3-Jun-2013, 08:45 AM
What, you found a customer who provides specs?

chuckatkinson
3-Jun-2013, 09:16 AM
No - that's why it's delayed ;)

Garret Mott
3-Jun-2013, 09:31 AM
Chuck nailed it.

However, I have found a customer who provides specs - even detailed ones. When I first started working with them, they handed me a list & I was silent for over a minute. I was asked if something was wrong & I started laughing & then said "No - I've just never seen this from a customer before."

Unfortunately, this work is not for that customer.

Bob Worsley
3-Jun-2013, 09:32 AM
Mine usually call me up and try to provide them verbally, it would be a wonderful day to get something actually written.

Michael Mullan
3-Jun-2013, 09:58 AM
I tend to get them retroactively. No not what you just did, that's close, but it's backwards. Do it again.

Bob Worsley
3-Jun-2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I usually write up what they say, give it back to them and ask if it's what they asked for and then get a signoff so it doesn't come back and bite me when they say "that isn't what I asked for!"

Michael Mullan
3-Jun-2013, 10:32 AM
I always knew you were smart Bob....

:-)

Nils G. Svedmyr
3-Jun-2013, 10:38 AM
That is way to clever, then there is no fun any more :cool:

JimNC9
6-Jun-2013, 11:13 AM
Specs, what are they?

Gregg Finney
6-Jun-2013, 11:23 AM
Those are what ya make up as your cutting the code.

Michael Mullan
6-Jun-2013, 11:34 AM
No No No. You write the specs AFTER the code is delivered, to justify the matching invoice...

Gregg Finney
6-Jun-2013, 11:46 AM
Definitely maybe...

Garret Mott
6-Jun-2013, 12:00 PM
My normal method

Mark Rutherford
7-Jun-2013, 03:43 PM
It's no fun if it isn't a moving target!

What you have to do is ask them what they want to do, not what they want...
If you did what they wanted it's always wrong when you deliver it :p

dbmcbrierty
30-Mar-2014, 02:20 PM
Sound like normal client. I am available if you still need someone

tjstevens
6-Jun-2014, 11:56 AM
if you haven't filled the position I am available immediately. I've been writing in VDF since it's inception. I also have a very strong Sql, SSRS and Crystal Reports background. For any legacy code I have worked in Datflex 2.3, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2. I have been a Dataflex developer for 17 years and been working with MS-SQL since 2007.

Tom Stevens

Mike Cooper
6-Jun-2014, 08:05 PM
I've found it takes longer to write the specs then it does to write the program!

FrankValcarcel
7-Jun-2014, 10:56 AM
I agree. We have looked at using some India (dot Indians) programming services but have also come to the conclusion that it just would not be cost effective as by the time we model, and spec the job is nearly done.

Mike Cooper
7-Jun-2014, 04:15 PM
One more feather in the cap for using Dataflex... "Why write the spec, when you can just write the app"... (Chip - maybe you can use this in a new marketing clip...):rolleyes:

Jim Albright
8-Jun-2014, 12:22 PM
It is also very easy to make DF and VDF projects self-documenting.