PDA

View Full Version : Restricting access to financial reports

danwalsh46
26-Mar-2013, 01:32 PM
I've got some reports that are not yet released for public consumption, but I realize that they can't be available for everybody, just the higher level of management. How do I segregate these reports?

Bob Cergol
26-Mar-2013, 02:49 PM
Dan,

Basic rights to Dynamic AI reports are divided into access and ownership. Access means that a user can run the report, and if they also have access to the menu system, then find the report in the menu outline. Ownership means a user can overwrite the report with a new version.

Access and ownership points to either individuals or groups.

Both access and ownership can be shared with groups of users, but if not shared, then both belong to the author of the report. (You can't share with another single user, only with groups.)

So basically you just want to create a "finance" group and make those individuals who will use these reports members and then share access to those reports with the Finance Group.

In report design on the general tab you see:

In Dynamic AI's vocabulary access equates to User-Group and ownership equates to Owner-Group. Sub-sharing is useful when you allow users to save ad-hoc changes to reports and also need to control who they are then allowed to share those reports with. You can force them to sub-share with another group, which basically means a user would have to be a member of both groups to access the report.

For anyone to be able to share reports, including the administrator or any developers, they must also be given that right. The screen below shows on the left all the groups this user is a member of for access to the report, and on the right shows the groups this user would be allowed to share reports with. (When you create a new group, remember to add that group to your list of groups you can share with -- or it won't appear in the drop down for user-group.)

The rights in Dynamic AI are very granular and all the permutations of combinations of these access and ownership rights, along with various design and other system rights, can be quite complex -- but necessary and easy to implement.

Bob