PDA

View Full Version : Problems upgrading from 6.4.89 to .92

Pepe
18-Feb-2013, 01:28 PM
Hi,

I'm having problems upgrading Dynamic AI from 6.4.89 to 6.4.92.

On the initial run it looked like everything went OK but Dynamic wouldn't run. Checking the activation.ini the codes were correct except that had 6.4.89 as the version and not .92.

I have uninstalled it, installed it back a few times even installing on different folders but it's like it has something "stuck" somewhere that does not allow the installation no finish correctly.

I have iireset a few times in between installations and checkd that IIS is running (Web App is working).

Any ideas where I could look at?

Regards

Bob Cergol
18-Feb-2013, 09:40 PM
Hi Pepe,

When you say it wouldn't run, can you elaborate? Did you get an error message, and what was the error? Do you accept all the defaults when installing or change them?

Even if you didn't do an IIS Reset or recycle dynpool to release dll's before installing, the install should just work, but it might then tell you you have to reboot.

That the ini file still shows the older version just confirms that it didn't run. I'm sure you've seen the "updated" message with AI logo that appears the first time you you access the site, before the login screen appears, after doing an update. That is the point at which the .ini file has been updated. Dynamic AI checks the repository structure, and if needed applies any changes prior to this message displaying, including updating the .ini file with the version number.

I've rarely encountered any install problems first-hand or at clients, but when I have, either something in their host environment got changed that affected rights, or they did something "unusual" they couldn't quite remember the sequence of events.

Anyway, I think I would reboot the system. In IIS Mgr. delete the Dynamic AI web sites. Rename the Dynamic AI Server folder and then run the install fresh. If all goes right you can copy in the repository from the renamed folder. Don't copy dnmcadm.dai. Copy DNMC.dai, and if you care about version history and system log then DNMCVers.dai and DNMCLog.dai.

Bob

Bo Andersen
19-Feb-2013, 04:42 AM
Here are some things to check.
In IIS manager - check that the application got created in the expected location - that is ususally Default Web Site / AI6 -
Start Internet Information server manager from Administrative Tools. Expand the Application Pools and verify that there is a pool called Dynpool. It should have 1 or 2 associated applications (1 if you did not install the demo site, 2 if you did).
Now expand the Default Web site and verify that it has a virtual web application called ai6 (and one called ai6demo if you installed demo)
if it does not, you'd most likely see 404 not found errors when browsing the site.

in windows explorer
check Dynamic AIs folder - the default is c:\program files\Dynamic AI Server\
below there, in the COM folder, there should be 4 files - dai6.dll, daiadm6.dll, dailogin6.dll, daiinit6.dll - if you hover with mouse or check properties you should see that their version match what you expect - in this case 6.4.92
These 4 files must be registered. If this has failed, you'd see a message in your browser like activeX can't create object - invalid class id. To remedy this, go to a command line, change directory to the COM folder and register the files using
regsvr32 dai6.dll
regsvr32 daiadm6.dll
etc

then try again from the browser

You could try just running an uninstall - we put a link in the start menu or you can do that from control panel - It should not be necessary, but backup your dnmc.dai and activation.ini in the DAT folder first. DNMC.DAI is where all your reports etc are stored.
Then, once windows control panels list of programs no longer includes Dynamic AI, try to install again as if it was a fresh install. After that, copy back the dnmc.dai and activation.ini and try browsing the site.

Best regards
Bo

Pepe
19-Feb-2013, 06:19 AM
Solved it using your recomendations:

"Anyway, I think I would reboot the system. In IIS Mgr. delete the Dynamic AI web sites. Rename the Dynamic AI Server folder and then run the install fresh. If all goes right you can copy in the repository from the renamed folder. Don't copy dnmcadm.dai. Copy DNMC.dai, and if you care about version history and system log then DNMCVers.dai and DNMCLog.dai."

I never had problems installing or upgrading Dynamic and I expect that this happened because my laptop needs a major "overhaul" (or I need a new one).

Thanks for your advices.

Pepe

Pepe
19-Feb-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks Bo.

The problem has been solved and your indications have been great as to learn more about DAI's installation process and I'm sure they will be of great help if I ever have problems in the future installing DAI.

Regards

Pepe