PDA

View Full Version : Web page error when running DAI evaluation

Richard Hogg
6-Feb-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi,

W7-64, IIS7.5

I've installed the evaluation server and go to activate it but get the attached error. I have IIS installed with ASP enabled but not experienced with IIS so not sure where to look next.

Regards
Richard

Eddy Kleinjan
7-Feb-2013, 02:52 AM
Hi Richard,

It looks like the ASP module is not correctly installed under IIS as the error indicates that the request for the .asp file ended up with the static file handler while it should be processed by the asp handler.

You might want to try to uninstall the ASP module and re-install that to see if that fixes the problem.

Best regards,
Eddy Kleinjan

From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771240
When a client browser requests a file from the Web server, IIS determines which handler to use based on the ordered list of handler mappings in configuration. If there is an entry that matches the request type and extension (for example, a GET request for an .aspx file respectively), IIS calls the handler mapped to that request combination, and then invokes the associated mapped handler to process the request and return a result to the client browser.
IIS 7 includes common mappings for files, file name extensions, and directories to handlers for your sites and applications. For example, there are handler mappings to handle requests for files, such as HTML, ASP, or ASP.NET files, and also for requests that do not specify a file, such as directory browsing or returning a default document.
By default, the StaticFile handler or the Directory handler will handle a request when a client requests a file that has an extension or a directory that is not mapped to a handler. When a client requests a URL with a specific file but the extension does not map to a handler, the StaticFile handler will try to process the request. When a client requests a URL without specifying a file, the Directory handler will return either a default document or a directory listing depending on whether those options are enabled for the application. If you want a handler other than the StaticFile handler or the Directory handler to process a request, you can create a new handler mapping.

Richard Hogg
7-Feb-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks Eddy that worked.

Bob Cergol
7-Feb-2013, 09:35 AM
Eddy,

Any ideas how IIS' ASP module could get installed incorrectly? As I recall one doesn't have any control over the install, other than to choose it in the case it is not already installed. Also as I recall, on a Windows 7 / Server 2008 system ASP is not installed as part of IIS by default and has to be enabled. That is done by simply checking a checkbox, so not much room for error there!

Bob

Eddy Kleinjan
8-Feb-2013, 04:46 AM
Hi Bob,

That would need some research to find out. And we probably all know that it is possible that you will never find the answer. My advice is to first make sure that .asp installed and that a simple .asp page can be loaded. This can be as simple as a something like this: <html><body>ASP working : <%= 1 %></body></html>

Eddy

Richard Hogg
8-Feb-2013, 09:41 AM
Hi Bob,

Yes there wasn't any options to choose from or anything just go into Windows features tick the box and reboot. I did this ages ago so IIS has been sitting unused for about 12 months (not that this probably helps but just thought I'd mention it)

Cheer
Richard