PDA

View Full Version : Global setting for styles used in reports

Pepe
18-Jan-2013, 07:07 AM
Hi,

Is there a global parameter for setting the style on all your reports overriding the individual setup of each report?

Thanks

Bob Cergol
18-Jan-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi Pepe,

Good question.
You can set the default style sheet a new report will use at the database connection level. You can then override that default in the report design. You can also define the default graphics output type at the user profile level. Note if you specify "TChart Active X" then when running in a Windows browser you will also have an edit interface into a comprehensive chart customization environment. The edit menu pops up when you hover your mouse over the chart. The editable charts can be emailed, but are not interactive like the javascript (High Charts) charts. See screen shots attached.

Regards,
Bob

Pepe
18-Jan-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks Bob but my question was the other way around: that is I have already my reports made with a different styles and I need them to be homogeneous. Instead of modifying the reports' styles one by one I would like to know if there is a parameter on a layer above the report level that if set it will override whatever style the report has.

Thanks

Pepe

Bob Cergol
18-Jan-2013, 10:33 AM
It doesn't work in that direction. At run-time whatever style is in effect in the report is what is used.

That being said, if you used a custom style to begin with, then you could modify that style sheet and it would of course affect all reports that used it. But if you used one of the standard styles to begin with, you'll have to change the style in each report because you're not allowed to overwrite the standard styles. This might be a good argument for not using the standard styles, and instead cloning them as custom styles from the very beginning and using them instead.

This applies if you are executing the reports from Dynamic AI's report menu. If you are executing the report from your Dataflex appliation, or from a URL, you can of course override the style sheet by supplying a parameter value for the desired style sheet ID.

Bob

Bob Cergol
18-Jan-2013, 11:11 AM
I've also made an inquiry to Cintac if there is some undocumented method to let you do this -- but I doubt it -- as it seems to me that it would be problematic.
Dynamic AI does override the style sheet defined in the report when used in a report package (dashboard) with the style sheet assigned to the package. It also overrides the style sheet on pacakges in emails for purposes of compatibility across email clients. (They render HTML differently.)
-Bob