PDA

View Full Version : Compiler improvement request if possible

chuckatkinson
19-Apr-2012, 07:42 AM
We are in the familiar DLL hell battle in our development environment. We have one particular Active-Directory DLL that needs to be in all of our programs in the application object. We add Side-By-Side registration of this DLL to our application manifest. But each new project has to have this added to the manifest before it will run properly. An added step that is often times forgotten until run-time.

Since the compiler generates the application manifest on each compile, would it be possible to add some type of "linking" feature that the compiler would use to automatically add our own DLL package manifests to the application manifest?

Thanks

chuckatkinson
23-Apr-2012, 03:09 PM
Am I totally off base with this ? I see a lot of views and no comments ????

My further thoughts on the matter. I could see the Import Class wizard having an option to generate a class manifest. Then at compile time the compiler could check the object classes and optionally add the class manifest(s) to the application manifest for all referenced external classes.

Thoughts ???

Michael Mullan
23-Apr-2012, 03:17 PM
so what you're really asking for her is a "post Compile" step, that can automatically invoke an external program after a successful compile? Yes?

chuckatkinson
23-Apr-2012, 04:13 PM
No not really. I am asking for a change in the Import Com ActiveX etc in the Studio to have the option to automatically generate a manifest from the package (like Step 1 in the Manifest Modifier from Anasazi Software, Inc.). Then have some means of (or maybe as simple as if there is a manifest for the pkg then use it) to tell the compiler to include these external class manifests in the application manifest- again just like the 2nd step in Manifest Modifier. The compiler only needs to do it once because once they are added using the Manifest Modifier then the VDF Compiler just leaves these extra parts alone.

So essentially it's just to automate the manual process of adding Side by Side registration of external DLL/OCX that some of us are using the Manifest Modifier to accomplish.