PDA

View Full Version : New Thread Icon Set

Brienne Casanave
19-Oct-2010, 04:42 PM
We received some feedback that it was difficult to distinguish between the icons for "read" and "unread" threads in a forum.

In an effort to increase clarity we have created a new icon set. If you have a mixture of new and old icons when you visit the forums for the first time since the addition of the new icons please press CTRL+F5 to fully refresh your page. This should completely load the new icon set.

Attached is an icon legend.

Anders Ohrt
20-Oct-2010, 02:51 AM
Nice! I like the new icons, the old ones where very "busy".

Focus
20-Oct-2010, 02:58 AM
I agree .... but is the little green triangle heading into or out of the square ? :D

Brienne Casanave
20-Oct-2010, 08:07 AM
It's intended to be an arrow head pointing to the left to indicate that you've responded to this thread.

Glad you like them! :)

David Martinko
20-Oct-2010, 09:14 AM
well, I don't find the icons to be very intuitive. Sure, once you train your brain what they mean... I'm sure it'll be ok. But, I didn't like the new vBulliten icons at all.

For new people coming it, I would think they would have a harder time with the block icons... are there any OTHER choices? Can you roll-your-own? If so, perhaps I can make up some icons for ya.

Garret Mott
20-Oct-2010, 09:23 AM
On another forum I frequent, the new icons (particularly new smilies) was the biggest complaint - causing a virtual uproar. The host ended up adding a new set from another vendor (or from a vBulletin user, or some such). In the interest (I think) of making the icons look more modern, they (the vBulletin folks) pretty much removed meaning from them.

David Martinko
20-Oct-2010, 10:04 AM
http://abefar.dk/blog/?p=114

Dennis Piccioni
20-Oct-2010, 10:36 AM
I voted for Flintstone icons. Dino means New, Bamm Bamm means hot thread...

Brienne Casanave
20-Oct-2010, 11:21 AM
This set was made in house. Part of the problem with existing icon sets (even the one that was initially installed) is that in an effort to minimize vertical space we've reduced the size of the icons to 24x24 which makes the detail VERY difficult to view.

The idea behind this was to mimic a check box. Open means unread, closed means read/checked.

We've decided to let this sit for a few days, review the all feedback that comes in, and then make a decision regarding the icons.

Thank you for the suggestion!

DaveR
20-Oct-2010, 01:28 PM
as one of the moaners I think they're a great improvement, not perfect, but at least better..........

but I still want the smiley with the teeth back ;)

Dennis Piccioni
20-Oct-2010, 01:30 PM
Our smileys brush and floss! ;)

Bob Worsley
20-Oct-2010, 02:24 PM
I voted for Flintstone icons. Dino means New, Bamm Bamm means hot thread...
I would have thought Pebbles would have been the hot thread...

David Martinko
20-Oct-2010, 03:37 PM
TMI.... really guys.

Shouldn't it be Wilma or Betty?

Garret Mott
20-Oct-2010, 07:55 PM
TMI.... really guys.

Since they're from the stone age, they're all older women......

Bob Worsley
21-Oct-2010, 10:02 AM
TMI.... really guys.

I guess Pebbles is or was a little on the young side but it's probably been 20 years since I last saw one of those cartoons, maybe she's grown up?