PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Layout Question

Mark Powers
12-Oct-2010, 02:59 PM
I use the "Next Post" button alot when reviewing messages. On the new layout it is to the far right hand side of the view (on the old I believe it was right in the middle). I find myself using the mouse to click on the threat I want to read and then I have to drag the mouse all the way to the other side of the view to click through the message. SO, is there anyway to move the "Previous Post" & "Next Post" buttons back to the middle (or even to the left side)?

Would just be nice.

Thanks
Mark

Dennis Piccioni
12-Oct-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Mark,

it can't really go to the left, since there's already some other data there. vBulletin actually completely removed this feature from version 4, so I had to add it back, and it was pretty tricky to do. I couldn't get it working in centered mode, at all. So, sorry, but at least we still have this feature. :-)

David Martinko
13-Oct-2010, 09:35 AM
Change the ".actionbuttons .group" to "text-align: center;"

I think this is what you were looking for.

Dennis Piccioni
13-Oct-2010, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately with vBulletin, the answer, like this small code snippet, often seems simple and obvious, the problem is where to put it in the myriad of convoluted templates and style sheets and tedious interface.

Mark Powers
13-Oct-2010, 11:27 AM
Dennis - Thanks for trying.

David Martinko
14-Oct-2010, 08:41 AM

Does this help? I use FireBug with Mozilla FireFox and it makes it easy to determine what styles are applied to an object. It even shows you which styles were overridden by another style (which is great for AJAX/website style conflicts).

Dennis Piccioni
14-Oct-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi David,

yes, I use those tools, too. The problem isn't in analyzing the code to change, the problem is in finding how to apply it to vBulletin.

David Martinko
14-Oct-2010, 08:51 AM
Sorry. Never used vBulliten. Just trying to help. I thought it was as simple as doing a text search through the *.css and then changing it there. It's what I'm used to for website development, but maybe this is different.

Knut Sparhell
15-Oct-2010, 05:52 AM
If there are style changes you would like to implement, but can't find in vBulletin, I would like to give it a try and report back what I have found. I would then have to download it and install it here to investigate. Unfortunately I have no time for this now, or next week, as I will be learning ajax in Amsterdam next week. But then ...

Brienne Casanave
18-Oct-2010, 11:35 AM
We were finally able to get the "Previous Post / Next Post" links centered! We like it better too ;)

Stephen W. Meeley
18-Oct-2010, 12:02 PM
Nice!

Mark Powers
18-Oct-2010, 03:46 PM
Brienne - OUTSTANDING! Thanks.
Mark

Larry R Pint
19-Oct-2010, 10:26 AM
Brienne,

Since you're on a roll solving everyone's forum issues, I've got another one I'm hoping you can look at.

I use hybrid mode. After I log in, I click on "new posts" and get a list of the new posts since my last session. If I click on one of the threads, I get a tree view of the messages in the thread. The one's I've read have a blue page icon on the left, the one's I haven't read have a yellow/orange/red icon. The individual messages below the tree view had a similar icon next to each message to indicate it I had already read it or not. The new forum version does not have the different icons anymore. As I scroll down the messages, I can't tell which ones I've read and which I haven't. Is it possible to get the icons back that indicate if an individual message has been read already?

TIA

Stephen W. Meeley
19-Oct-2010, 10:57 AM
Larry,

I see the difference between read (blue) and unread (yellow) just fine. I also use hybrid mode and do the same thing (hit new posts, select a thread, see the tree view).

Larry R Pint
19-Oct-2010, 03:45 PM
In the treeview the icons are correct. But, in the old version of the forum, there also was an icon next to each message in the messages below the treeview that also was blue for messages previously read and orange for previously unread messages. Since unread messages could be scattered throughout the tree, I often just read the first message (to re-familiarize myself with the issue), then I just scrolled down till I saw an orange icon and read that message. Now there is no way of identifying which messages I have not read (without referring back to the treeview at the top - and that's too much scrolling).